PDA

View Full Version : Small Claro Walnut Box

Timothy Mann
12-22-2012, 7:54 PM
I had a small piece of Claro left over from an old project and wanted to get another small box out of it. I have seen a couple of posts recently with turnings close to this form that inspired me, I don't remember the names of the posters however. This was almost to small for what I wanted to do but made it work. "2 3/4 X "7/8, the lid is close to "1/16 thickness. WOP and buffed all 3 wheels useing Ren wax with the last wheel. The photo I took of the box with the lid on it came out blury so I dont have one to post and the box is already wrapped. I received my photo tent but have not had anytime to work with it yet, so the photos are not great.

Doug Herzberg
12-22-2012, 8:03 PM
Too bad about the photo with the lid on. The box looks fabulous and the wood is great.

Bernie Weishapl
12-22-2012, 8:08 PM
Great looking box and good use of scrap wood.

Thomas Canfield
12-22-2012, 9:08 PM
I'm impressed. The small size and thickness of the lid make it a delicate box. I notice that it is side grain but then the lid has to be flexible at that thickness and any expansion not an issue. It makes me want to work on my box skill. I saw a demo by Alan Lacer several years ago and learned the basic steps and told him this past SWAT that I even went home and told myself to turn 6 to get it down. Today I think that I finished my 6th, but there has been too much time between sessions. I almost got the lid tight enough to "pop", but then next time.......... that is what keeps us going.

Harry Robinette
12-22-2012, 9:23 PM
Timothy
Really nice box and can't beat that for a use of scrap.

Doug W Swanson
12-22-2012, 11:10 PM
Cute little box. Sure is a nice use of wood that many people would toss....

Steve Schlumpf
12-23-2012, 10:12 AM
Nice work Timothy! I like the simple design and the wood looks great! Deserves an additional photo or two once you get your photo tent set up! Thanks for sharing!

Charles Bruno
12-23-2012, 9:03 PM
Nice box and use of cutoffs walnut is one of my favorite

Marc Himes
12-24-2012, 8:50 AM
Really nice box! It shows of the features of the wood with a very pleasing form.