PDA

View Full Version : The pepper mill thread

John Coloccia
12-22-2012, 6:33 PM
Okay guys, no fooling around here. This is very serious business. I have a couple of pepper mills here....OK, maybe 3 or 4...but whatever, I have ONE that works incredibly well and the others work so-so. I want to get one more really great pepper mill.

I don't care what it looks like...don't care about what kind of wood...don't care about a brand name and would actually prefer something that doesn't look like it belongs on the space shuttle. I just need a standard, normal, pepper mill and the only catch is that it has to actually work. So when I turn it, pepper needs to reliably come out. When I set it for coarse, it needs to reliably give me coarse...etc etc.

That's all. Any recommendations?

Ed Jolin
12-22-2012, 11:36 PM
I have an acrylic one from Chef Specialties, model 08370 that I like. ymmv. It was a gift. After a few years of use, the handle rivet came undone, and I was rather disappointed since I like it so much. They sent me a new handle for free. It's not the most attractive, but the nice looking wooden one I have didn't grind worth anything. Were I to get another one, I'd call them and see if the same mechanism is used in any of their other mills.

Ted Calver
12-22-2012, 11:54 PM
My crush grind works like that...ever tried one of them?

Steven Green
12-23-2012, 1:30 PM
John we've had one of these for twenty years or so. Works like a charm every time.
http://www.amazon.com/Pepper-Mill-Imports-Atlas-Brass/dp/B00015USPQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Rich Riddle
12-23-2012, 1:49 PM
John we've had one of these for twenty years or so. Works like a charm every time.
http://www.amazon.com/Pepper-Mill-Imports-Atlas-Brass/dp/B00015USPQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

We have had the same one for decades. It works well if you like fine to very fine pepper. We do. The only complaints I have is that it tarnishes very badly and the bottom piece that flares out split so it now looks more like a C than an O. It still works well, so one can live with those things.

Harry Hagan
12-24-2012, 10:56 AM
248873These peppercorns from Costco come with a grinder on the bottle—works like a charm.

John Coloccia
12-24-2012, 11:08 AM
We have had the same one for decades. It works well if you like fine to very fine pepper. We do. The only complaints I have is that it tarnishes very badly and the bottom piece that flares out split so it now looks more like a C than an O. It still works well, so one can live with those things.

That's exactly why I never bought that one. I prefer my pepper anywhere very coarsely ground, and that's where a lot of mills seem to fall flat on their face. As soon as you loosen it up, they stop working.

Ed Jolin
12-24-2012, 11:47 PM
The one I referenced above does coarse, as that's all I use it for. I suppose it would do a fine grind also - never tried it that way.

Joe Angrisani
12-25-2012, 9:35 AM
John....You want coarse? What about a dedicated coffee grinder? That's what I use when doing something like Steak au Poivre. Buzz buzz, then a pinch or three of what you need.

Peter Kelly
12-25-2012, 1:40 PM
Peugeot Paris Classic
http://www.cutleryandmore.com/peugeot/paris-salt-pepper-mill-set-u-select-p120154

You can buy these separately as well. Should be around $35. Lifetime warranty.

John Coloccia
12-25-2012, 4:13 PM
John....You want coarse? What about a dedicated coffee grinder? That's what I use when doing something like Steak au Poivre. Buzz buzz, then a pinch or three of what you need.

Actually, I use a mortar and pestle when I want it REALLY coarse :)

steven pratt
12-25-2012, 11:38 PM
This is the best one I've found so far. It really lays down the pepper. It's refillable too.

http://www.jrwatkins.com/jrwatkins/productdetail.cfm?Store=3BAE0D90-00AE-630B-8F328117E7CDA7C8&Product=2740E3D7-E913-15DC-C39C1F4E23A1D0DC&Country=Usa

Ben Hatcher
12-26-2012, 10:54 AM
I'm quite interested in what you all come up with as well. My pepper mill is horrible. It takes 30 turns or more to get 1/4 tsp. I made Bill Wyko's rub recipe and my arm nearly fell off trying to grind 3 tablespoons. I was told that low quality pepper corns don't grind well no matter what grinder you use, though I have no corroborating evidence to support that.

Matt Meiser
12-26-2012, 11:07 AM
We bought one of these a month or so ago. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0006GSR76/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1356537902&sr=8-6&pi=SL75

We liked it enough to buy the matching salt grinder for sea salt.

The Costco one above broke on us after about 1/3 of the pepper was used.

John Coloccia
12-26-2012, 11:07 AM
I'm quite interested in what you all come up with as well. My pepper mill is horrible. It takes 30 turns or more to get 1/4 tsp. I made Bill Wyko's rub recipe and my arm nearly fell off trying to grind 3 tablespoons. I was told that low quality pepper corns don't grind well no matter what grinder you use, though I have no corroborating evidence to support that.

My "good" mill grinds everything perfectly, and has for 10 years. It sits by the range. I have several more...one for the table, another in the kitchen for different peppercorn blends, etc, and those don't work well at all. I've never heard of low quality pepper corns. I guess they could be incredibly old and soggy, or something, but I've never heard of anything like that.

Greg Portland
12-26-2012, 2:34 PM
Okay guys, no fooling around here. This is very serious business. I have a couple of pepper mills here....OK, maybe 3 or 4...but whatever, I have ONE that works incredibly well and the others work so-so. I want to get one more really great pepper mill.

I don't care what it looks like...don't care about what kind of wood...don't care about a brand name and would actually prefer something that doesn't look like it belongs on the space shuttle. I just need a standard, normal, pepper mill and the only catch is that it has to actually work. So when I turn it, pepper needs to reliably come out. When I set it for coarse, it needs to reliably give me coarse...etc etc.

That's all. Any recommendations?
I've been using a Unicorn Magnum for the past 8 years (lots of BBQ rubs + daily fine use). There is a shorter one that is the same mechanism (just holds less peppercorns) --> http://www.amazon.com/Unicorn-Magnum-Plus-Pepper-Black/dp/B0000CFB4N/ref=zg_tr_15850251_2

Zassenhaus (Germany) is supposed to make a good traditional looking one but I have not tried it.

Edit for the BBQ rub folks: With the Unicorn I can churn out a tablespoon of pepper in less than 30 seconds.