PDA

View Full Version : Anybody use a DC servo motor on a lathe?

Mike D Harris
12-22-2012, 1:53 PM
In another thread Marvin recommended using an industrial sewing motor for a lathe motor replacement. Has anybody actually tried a DC servo motor on a lathe? I spent a long time looking at 90V DC motors and controllers, but they are pretty expensive. The industrial sewing machine motors are around $100 and come with reversible, variable speed control. My web searches haven't revealed too many people using this type of motor, but if it works it would be a great option. Any personal experience with this? Thanks.

Reed Gray
12-22-2012, 1:55 PM
I have heard of using tread mill motors, but beyond that, don't know. I would think that most sewing machine motors would not be good for anything above pens.

robo hippy

Roger Chandler
12-22-2012, 2:21 PM
This lathe from Laguna uses a servo motor......they have been used on lathes for years!

http://www.lagunatools.com/revo_lathe_24_36_large_display_image_template.jpg

Marvin Hasenak
12-22-2012, 6:15 PM
I have one in use, I put it on an old Dunlap wood lathe. Works like a charm, a lot better than the lathe, because the lathe doesn't have MT on either end, and the shaft is only 1/2" in diameter. But at 8" diameter max, and a bed with only a capability of 14" in length it wasn't much of test of the power. I have it set up at the ranch as play toy. I basically make game calls, I don't need all of the bells and whistles of a modern lathe, but I do like the speed control and the reverse for sanding. With this one I use homemade "spur" type drive with a homemade mandrel and a dead center on the tailstock, crude but it works.

If I ever find a good old Rockwell gap bed, I will convert it to the same type of motor. I was looking for one of the Rockwell Delta's that had the combination metal and wood lathe capabilities. I have only seen one for sale and it was too far away to chase down. But at $1200 I considered it a bargain. So I have settled on a Rockwell gap bed lathe with 2MT and 1-8TPI, just need to locate one that is all there and close enough to get at a decent price.

ray hampton
12-22-2012, 7:26 PM
I have one in use, I put it on an old Dunlap wood lathe. Works like a charm, a lot better than the lathe, because the lathe doesn't have MT on either end, and the shaft is only 1/2" in diameter. But at 8" diameter max, and a bed with only a capability of 14" in length it wasn't much of test of the power. I have it set up at the ranch as play toy. I basically make game calls, I don't need all of the bells and whistles of a modern lathe, but I do like the speed control and the reverse for sanding. With this one I use homemade "spur" type drive with a homemade mandrel and a dead center on the tailstock, crude but it works.

If I ever find a good old Rockwell gap bed, I will convert it to the same type of motor. I was looking for one of the Rockwell Delta's that had the combination metal and wood lathe capabilities. I have only seen one for sale and it was too far away to chase down. But at $1200 I considered it a bargain. So I have settled on a Rockwell gap bed lathe with 2MT and 1-8TPI, just need to locate one that is all there and close enough to get at a decent price.

do they still make the combination metal -wood lathe ?

Marvin Hasenak
12-22-2012, 7:44 PM
Not to my knowledge, the ones I have seen or heard about seem to have been made quite awhile ago. Maybe the 1970's or earlier, but no real idea, since all I have is what they look like.

Harry Robinette
12-22-2012, 11:57 PM
I believe you'll find that they haven't made a dual wood metal sense about 1948 or so. If you find you can use this sewing machine motor please post the info,it will be interesting to see what this bunch of guys and gals come up with. I think it will be a ball to see what happens.

Bill Swanson
12-24-2012, 8:43 PM
I used a treadmill motor and controller on an old dunlap lathe.

Works like a charm, love the variable speed. comes up to speed slower but other than that it it great.