PDA

View Full Version : Timberwolf BS Blades - Could this be correct???

Glen Blanchard
04-26-2005, 5:24 PM
I have always purchased my Timber Wolf blades at Woodcraft, but for the heck of it I checked the Suffolk Machinery website today to compare pricing. I paid $39.99 for a 123" blade 3/16" wide at Woodcraft and can order the same blade through Suffolk for $18.53. I confirmed the price on the phone with the Suffolk people. WOW!!! I feel like I have been getting ripped off at Woodcraft. I know that Woodcraft buys from a distributor who orders from Suffolk (or at least I think that is how it works) and that there are a lot more pieces of the pie in that distrubtion line as compared to buying directly from Suffolk, but I am amazed by this (greater than 2:1) ratio. I wonder if the retailers complain to Suffolk that they are underselling their product to such a great extent. Am I missing something here?

Silas Smith
04-26-2005, 5:26 PM
I go to a little shop here in Houston and I noticed that they were alot more expensive at woodcraft. I think they average under $20 for my 17" bandsaw. Woodcraft needs to be careful to not drive away their base. I never go there because I know that I can find it elsewere for significantly cheaper

Tom Hintz
04-26-2005, 5:39 PM
Glen,
I always buy my TimberWolf blades right from TimberWolf. they know exactly what you need if you tell them what saw you have and what you want to do, the prices are very good and they send them via USPS in a box.
When I go to Woodcraft...well, you know.

Bernie Weishapl
04-26-2005, 7:01 PM
Glen, I found the same thing a couple of months ago. I bought my blades from Woodcraft and then found Suffolk. I buy mine there all the time now for half price. I call them and tell them what I am doing with my saw and they tell me exactly what I need. I really felt like I was getting ripped off. Just my 2 cents.Bernie

Brian Knop
04-26-2005, 7:44 PM
I always buy my blades straight from Suffolk also. There half the price as up town.

Brian

lou sansone
04-27-2005, 7:27 AM
ditto on where to buy the blades.... timberwolf direct. woodcraft was adding a lot for the pass through costs. BTW timberwolf has a special sale on their blades that if you buy 3 you get the 4th free..

lou

Tom Jones III
04-27-2005, 8:11 AM
I'll bet I know that shop in Houston, I just went there Sat. and bought a 1/2" Timberwolf for $18.

Jeff Sudmeier
04-27-2005, 8:33 AM
Woodcraft in all of my purchases has been higher than what I have been able to find online. When I go to woodcraft it is because I want to pay for the service that they provide. Just like the old hardware stores that are still around. They are higher, but they always have or can get just what you need.

Mike Ramsey
04-27-2005, 11:50 AM
Silas, would you share with us the best and cheapest places in Houston that you use.
I'm always driving to Houston at least once per month and I always waste my time
searching for woodworking supplies.

James Carmichael
04-27-2005, 12:07 PM
Glen,

All I can say is, the glass is half full. Instead of beating up yourself or Woodcraft over paying too much, be glad you've found Suffolk.

You have a valid point about TW retailers: I wonder why anyone would carry the blades when Suffolk undercuts them. I was in a local Woodcraft recently when a customer came in and bought one, so I guess they do move them.

WoodCraft must have a pretty hefty markup. If we can buy retail from Suffolk for almost 50% below what WC sells them for, you can bet WC gets them from Suffolk for a lot less than you or I can.

Glen Blanchard
04-27-2005, 12:11 PM
WoodCraft must have a pretty hefty markup. If we can buy retail from Suffolk for almost 50% below what WC sells them for, you can bet WC gets them from Suffolk for a lot less than you or I can.

Exactly - a markup of over 100%. That is quite a margin indeed!

Tom Jones III
04-27-2005, 12:15 PM
The Cutting Edge
http://www.cuttingedgetools.com/
11760 S. Sam Houston Pkwy W.
Houston 77031
713 981 9228

If you need something specific, call first and they'll make sure it is in stock when you drive in. Steve is the owner, Mason, Giles and Loren are all very knowledgeable, very helpful and very friendly.

They frequently compare well with internet prices. I recently bought a PM 66 TS from them, long rail version with mobile base. Mason and Giles setup the machine very accurately, re-polished the top and delivered it to my garage and set it in the mobile base. After tax I paid the roughly same as I would have if I ordered from amazon. They have started carrying hardwood lumber in small quantities. They can special order whatever you want through a deal with a local lumber yard. Their prices are the same as the cheapest lumber yards in town although you don't have a huge stock to look through.

Jerry Clark
04-27-2005, 12:20 PM
Woodcraft is in business to make a profit-- just like any other business. They carry inventory, pay labor, insurance, and rent like anyone else. They are open long hours to provide service to wood workers. They may charge more for some items, but you pay for the convience of being able to get it now. Cannot knock them for for this service. We all want to save some $$ when we can, that is the american way!:cool:

Scott Loven
04-27-2005, 12:44 PM
PS Woods has an exclusive right to sell "Timberwolf" brand bandsaw blades. They buy them from Suffolk, package them, and sell them at WW shows and to retailers like Woodcraft. Woodcraft sells them to their independently owned stores who sell them to us. There are other stores who sell low tension silicone steel blades, they just cant call them "timberwolf" blades.

Glen Blanchard
04-27-2005, 1:08 PM
Woodcraft is in business to make a profit-- just like any other business. They carry inventory, pay labor, insurance, and rent like anyone else. They are open long hours to provide service to wood workers. They may charge more for some items, but you pay for the convience of being able to get it now. Cannot knock them for for this service. We all want to save some $$ when we can, that is the american way!:cool:

No doubt Jerry. They are in business for the same reason I am in business - to make a profit. I expect to pay more when I buy from Woodcraft and don't begrudge the additional cost as I do feel (on the whole) that I recieve good information from the folks there. I would expect to be able to save up to maybe 15% by purchasing on-line. When I want something NOW (as often I do - I can be impatient - especially for new toys ;)) or if I want some guidance I gladly forfeit that 15%. However, I do not expect to be able to make a purchase on-line and save over 50% as is the case here!! To me, this indicates that somebody's pricing stucture (for this item anyway) is out of line.

I did have a related experience this past weekend with Woodcraft about which I was extremely surprised. I went to the local Rockler store to look at a 16" Jet BS that they had on display. They want $799 for the saw, but it was on sale for $779. As Woodcraft is significanly closer to me than is the Rockler store, I thought I would see if Woodcraft would match the price. I placed a call to Woodcraft and found out that their price for the same saw was $899 ($120 more than Rockler's sale price). I explained the situation to the Woodcraft salesperson who answered the phone and asked if they would match Rockler's sale price, mentioning that the better price was at the local Rockler store, and that this was not a mail-order deal. There was no doubt in my mind that they would do this to get the sale. I was told that they don't do those kind of things. He did not even ask for Rockler's price. I was shocked, as I have come to expect price-matching most places I go these days - especially from a large chain such as Woodcraft. So the bottom line is that Woodcraft's regular price was more than 12% higher than the regular price of a local competing retailer and Woodcraft was not interested in getting the business.

Don't get me wrong - I still like the Woodcraft store here. I will continue to do business with them. I am just very surprised at how these 2 situations played out.

thomas prevost
04-27-2005, 1:23 PM
IMHO Woodcraft is a woodworker's Sears. Walk in and walk out with it in your pocket. No waiting for shipment. If you need it yesterday, it is going to cost you between 25% and 100% more.

Also, not all stores are the same. These are independent franchisers who have the flexibility to operate their business as they see fit. Example, Woodcraft recently had the Rikon 18" band saw for $899 plus 58 shipping "catalog" the store east of me would sell it for $899 plus tax no shipping cost. The store west of me wanted $999 plus tax. He noted he was not a charity. I took a paid course there last year. I paid $125 for an eight hour session on jet lathes, Oneway chucks, Beal systems and Sorby tools. Maybe one hour on techniques. The owner used it as a guise to market his goods. But, I hear others note that they have had great courses at other stores.

Now I always go east, he will meet competitors prices and is very pleasant to deal with.

Long note to say not all Woodcraft stores are the same. If yours treats you well support him. If not look for best deal with competitors or intenet.

Alan Mikkelsen
04-27-2005, 4:25 PM
I've been buying direct from Suffolk for many years. Great service, and prices.

Terre Hooks
04-27-2005, 7:37 PM
I feel like I have been getting ripped off at Woodcraft.

Mebbe we should start a club?

Am I missing something here?

Nope, nada, not one thing.

Ed Lang
04-28-2005, 5:53 PM
I emailed Suffolk asking for their recommendation on blades for my G0555 and G0514 but have not gotten any reply. They must have all of the business they need.

Is this the kind of service everyone else has experienced with them?

If so, where else has good band saw blades? Maybe I'll get a few from Grizzly and hope for the best.

David Dixson
04-28-2005, 6:00 PM
Ed,

Call them direct on their 800 number. Suffolk Machinery is not email responsive, but their phone service is absolutely the best.

Dave

Jim Becker
04-28-2005, 6:12 PM
I emailed Suffolk asking for their recommendation on blades for my G0555 and G0514 but have not gotten any reply. They must have all of the business they need..

Most small business are like that relative to email...the phone is the best way to get the information you need "now". Suffolk is extremely responsive and knowledgable and when you call back later to renew, they will know exactly what you previously bought for your saw.