PDA

View Full Version : Laguna resaw master(Bandsaw) for Free!?!?

Jeff Sudmeier
04-26-2005, 5:21 PM
Everyone,

I submit to you, the acquisition of the year :)

Awhile back Kahla posted that she had a Laguna Tools Resaw Master bandsaw (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=17772&highlight=laguna)for sale. Well I thought long and hard about it and while I COULD scrape up the money, my LOML would kill me. So I sulked :(

The package included the never used saw (Still in factory packaging), the mobility kit. Two 1 1/3" sweedish silco resaw blades, a 1/2 inch blade and a 2 inch carbide resaw master!

My uncle and I were emailing back and forth the next day and he mentioned that he had to waste lumber because he couldn't resaw. Well I went him the link to the bandsaw and he HAD to have it! Only problem, he didn't have the room for it as he is currently traveling A LOT for his job and doesn't have a real shop. He asked me if I would store it for him!

Ummm... Let me think... SURE!! So he talked with Kahla and purchased the saw from her. I drove up to MKE to get it and brought it home.

We got the saw off of the truck and mounted the motor. At this point. I found that it had a broken drive pulley. I called up Laguna and Greg said they would replace it, free of charge, even though it was out of warranty.

I also had to run 220V to the garage. I decided to put in a 60 amp sub panel for it and my jointer.

I LOVE this saw. It is just a dream to use! It has resawn 6 inch oak like it wasn't there! She sure is a beaut! After I have had a chance to use her more, I will post a full review.

I store the Laguna along the wall at the end of my jointer. I have it hooked up to the DC system with flex pipe. When I want to use the saw I just roll it out to where I can use it. When I am done, I roll it back. The mobility kit is great!

Finally I am calling this an acquisition because I can not gloat about it. The reason that I received this saw is because Kahla's father passed away. I am glad that his tools will be used, but I can not call this a gloat.

The first pic is showing the front of the saw, with the guide all the way up. This is the max the saw can re-saw. (You could get more out of it if you really needed to.

The second pic is of the 5hp Baldor motor. (She pulls 50 amps starting up!)

The final pic is of some 5 inch cherry I resawed.

Jeff Sudmeier
04-26-2005, 5:23 PM
The set up of this saw was very easy. The instructions were very clear and followed the process nicely.

I have adjusted the guides a few times now. I can do it in about 10 minutes now. I would imagine I would get faster yet.

I have cleaned the table and put three coats of wax on it. The fence had some slight rusting, from sitting for 1.5 years. I used WD40 and a scotch brite pad to remove that. Then I put three coats of wax on the fence as well.

mike malone
04-26-2005, 5:31 PM
hey jeff.......very jealous of that saw.

"....may your children walk backwards and a hoarde of locust infest your fields."

but good luck and have fun with it.
regards
mike

Richard Wolf
04-26-2005, 5:36 PM
She a beauty, Jeff.

Richard

Mark Singer
04-26-2005, 5:50 PM
Jeff,

That is a super saw! Congradulations!

Rob Blaustein
04-26-2005, 6:30 PM
Very nice catch Jeff. If you run out of room, and your uncle needs to store some more tools, I am happy to help out. So do you think he's really going to put a shop together, or is this saw basically on permanent loan?

Bernie Weishapl
04-26-2005, 6:45 PM
Jeff, you dog. What a catch. That thing is a beauty. Enjoy.

Bernie

Jim Becker
04-26-2005, 6:56 PM
No problem with that "acquisition"!!! Congratulations and enjoy!

Jeff Sudmeier
04-26-2005, 8:43 PM
Very nice catch Jeff. If you run out of room, and your uncle needs to store some more tools, I am happy to help out. So do you think he's really going to put a shop together, or is this saw basically on permanent loan?
Rob,

I think he will set up a shop some day. At that point I will probably either buy it from him, or buy a new saw. I am already hooked on it. I don't know that I could do without a big bandsaw now! :)

I will sure let him know that if he needs any more good homes for tools, that I know just the guy(s). :)

Karl Laustrup
04-26-2005, 8:43 PM
Jeff, I was wondering when you were going to come out of the closet with that awesome hunk of iron. ;)

From the day the post first showed up and then when your "uncle" was going to purchase the saw, I just somehow knew it would end up in your shop, even if it is on "loan". :D

Anyway congratulations on the aquisition. Now "Spring" and I know where to go when we need that extra wide board sliced. ;) :D

John Miliunas
04-26-2005, 9:02 PM
The pictures do NOT do that saw justice! Trust me on this one, as I saw it up close and personal! The motor on that bad boy is monstrous and I can see why it takes as large a breaker at startup! I thought my 16HD was big, but this guy is most definitely "Big Brother"!:) Nice score, Jeff and I'm glad you got her tuned in better now! Have PHUN!!!:D :) :cool:

lou sansone
04-26-2005, 9:08 PM
congratualtions on the laguna saw.. I had a laguna 24 for about 3 years and it was a great saw. Enjoy and best wishes

lou

John Hart
04-26-2005, 9:49 PM
Holy cow Jeff!! "Jealous" doesn't quite describe what I'm feeling right now:(

Dan Forman
04-26-2005, 9:56 PM
Way to go Jeff, that's practically a lumber mill!

Dan

Jeff Sudmeier
04-26-2005, 10:12 PM
Thanks everyone! She sure is big! The only problem, I am now looking for a 14 inch bandsaw. She is so big and set up for re-sawing, that the smallest blade it takes is 1/2".

David Fried
04-26-2005, 10:41 PM
Let's see ... huge jointer, great bandsaw. Hmmm - doesn't luck like that come in threes? Let us know what good fortune falls into your lap next!

Kelly C. Hanna
04-26-2005, 10:58 PM
Great Saw Jeff!!! You are a very lucky man.

Jeff Sudmeier
04-27-2005, 8:38 AM
Let's see ... huge jointer, great bandsaw. Hmmm - doesn't luck like that come in threes? Let us know what good fortune falls into your lap next!
I don't think my pocket book can afford another "Lucky" find! :) I was looking at the zip code saws (Craftsman cabinet) this weekend, but just didn't have the cash...

Mark Singer
04-27-2005, 9:29 AM
Jeff,

You are correct, you should get a 14" bandsaw. The Resaw Master is really designed to resaw and is great at that! You should leave a dedicated resaw blade in there and use a 14" for other stuff. I have 2 saws and it makes a lot of sense.

Thanks everyone! She sure is big! The only problem, I am now looking for a 14 inch bandsaw. She is so big and set up for re-sawing, that the smallest blade it takes is 1/2".

Zahid Naqvi
04-27-2005, 9:29 AM
Where's an uncle when you need one :mad:

Good score Jeff. Hey when your uncle eventually relocates the saw (if he ever does) to his place, you can act so depressed that the LOYL will have no choice but to let you buy one yourself ;)

Maurice Ungaro
04-27-2005, 9:40 AM
Jeff, regarding your Uncle's saw:

......"Posession is 9/10's of the law!"

Jeff Sudmeier
04-27-2005, 9:48 AM
Could never do that to my uncle! He is a very generous man as you may all have guessed already!