PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Engraving LOGO Outline On Leather

navin vijayakumar
12-21-2012, 11:30 PM
Machine : 1200X900 Gweike 80 Watt laser machine.

Hello friends... I need an help for engraving outline of a logo on a leather component. The thing is that I don't want the full image engraved.. Rather I need just an outline.

Since I got no idea about how to do this, I used 'CUT' option and tried to perform this operation. Here the problem is, The outcome is not as good as in our customer sample.. In our customer sample, the logo looks lighter and better.. But in the job I performed, Its more deeper, darker and leaves lot of residues.. Since it is an light colored suede leather, it makes the leather turn black when handled..

Customer Sample : http://i46.tinypic.com/24zdbtd.jpg

Outcome from my machine : http://i49.tinypic.com/mm2xxk.jpg

Laser cut Settings :

CUT - Speed:110, Power:12, Corner power:10.30
Hole - Power:11, Interval:2, Radiation time:.05

I cant go any further low on the corner power.. If I reduce the corner power, it doesn't cut at all.

Please help me with getting a better result..

Thank you

Steven Cox
12-22-2012, 3:44 AM
I don't have a Gweike, but I'd suggest if you can't reduce the power then speed it up. To engrave you could try and break the image apart and then convert the outlines to objects. In this way you could apply some different settings to internal parts of the logo. To reduce the residue you could try using application tape as a mask although it may have a hard time sticking to the suede or possibly use masking tape.

navin vijayakumar
12-22-2012, 4:17 AM
Thank steven.. If i gotta speed it up, then i had to increase the power to match to its speed... Else, it doesn't fire at all.. Also, regarding the engraving part, I'm pretty sure tat i would get some better result than cutting at low power.. But I am clueless about how to do it.. If required, i could upload the DXF of the logo here.. Some help here would be highly appreciated..

TY

Rodne Gold
12-22-2012, 4:19 AM
Convert the outline in Corel to a bitmap , import into your laser program and then use scan to engrave it.

Steven Cox
12-22-2012, 5:18 AM
Convert the outline in Corel to a bitmap , import into your laser program and then use scan to engrave it.

That could work too, my thought was converting to objects could help controlling different elements with different settings. As a bitmap you'd have to set different colours before saving as a bitmap to get the grey scale effect for different shades if needed. All that said we have only seen the output and not the original file so we're only guessing how its drawn and in what??.

TY can you upload the file in CorelDraw? If you can save it as version 12 to be safe as others may put in their 2cents worth and may not have the latest versions. Also add your equipment/software to your signature as that can help others help you.

Mike Null
12-22-2012, 5:19 AM
I'm assuming Rodney is suggesting rastering the image which would be my suggestion.

navin vijayakumar
12-22-2012, 5:51 AM
Thanks a lot guys.. But seriously I couldn't understand much about what should be done.. Here is the link to the file (https://hotfile.com/dl/185682521/5ab82a1/cornflower_x2.cdr.html). I am pretty noob when it comes to engraving techniques and terminology.. I am on a learning phase.. So, Please guide me about what to be done for better results..

TY

navin vijayakumar
12-23-2012, 10:30 PM
some help here would be grateful..

navin vijayakumar
12-26-2012, 6:15 AM
Converting to bitmap didn't work for me.. As the desired output size is very low. And the converted bitmap image couldn't be of any use.

The first thing that came to my mind when i took this job is adding outline to the image so that it engraves the outline of the object. But i couldn't be much successful in that attempt as you could see the logo, it contains a set of design with different size and shapes. Manually adding outline to every object in the logo didn't get me the desired output.

Then I finally had found a way to outlining an object. There is an feature in coreldraw called 'contour'(Windows->Dockers). It does the job so easily. I had spent hours together exploring coreldraw.. Love coreldraw for its feature set..

Thanks everyone