PDA

View Full Version : Lidded Candy Dishes

Dave Bell
12-21-2012, 11:02 PM
Originally I posted my You Tube videos for Where's My Bowl Blank (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9seOVEqYa6A) and now I have completed the bowl and a couple of others to go with it.

I dropped these commissioned pieces off today and the customer was very pleased.

C&C Welcomed.

Dave

Box Elder Burl in Blue

249254 249255

Box Elder Burl and Red

249256 249257

Maple Burl and Blue

249258 249259 249260

Eric Gourieux
12-21-2012, 11:37 PM
Those are really pretty. The dye job is really nice. How could they not be pleased?

Dave Bell
12-21-2012, 11:53 PM
It's not a dye...it's Alumilite resin with dye and pigment cast with the burl wood.

Dave

George Barber
12-22-2012, 7:44 AM
They are all striking but I especially like the red one.

Doug W Swanson
12-22-2012, 9:10 AM
Those are really cool! I love mixed medium like this. I think my favorite is the last one with the wood on one side and resin on the other...

I just finished a bowl with a resin inlay in the rim so I can appreciate how these turned out. Are you worried about the wood and resin separating at all? Did you cast them with a form?

Dave Bell
12-22-2012, 10:18 AM
Those are really cool! I love mixed medium like this. I think my favorite is the last one with the wood on one side and resin on the other...

I just finished a bowl with a resin inlay in the rim so I can appreciate how these turned out. Are you worried about the wood and resin separating at all? Did you cast them with a form?

I have never had the wood and resin separate unless there is an area that was punky. I've learned to stabilize the wood now to prevent this from occurring.

There is a link in the original post "Where's My Bowl Blank" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9seOVEqYa6A) that will take you to a You Tube video of me turning off this particular style of mold. This is just one of many ways I use molds to cast my wooden pieces.

Dave

Jim Burr
12-22-2012, 12:12 PM
She should be over joyed!!! Great work Dave!! The vid was great...how did you bore out the center of the mold?

Bernie Weishapl
12-22-2012, 8:28 PM
Wow those are beauties. The video was great and love the color of the casts

Dave Bell
12-22-2012, 9:21 PM
She should be over joyed!!! Great work Dave!! The vid was great...how did you bore out the center of the mold?

For this mold design I add each layer to the mold and use a parting tool to make the initial cut. When the inner piece is removed, I turn the finished hole to size and then repeat the next ring. All of the inner circles are kept and used for smaller projects or waste blocks.

Dave

Rich Aldrich
12-23-2012, 8:42 AM
It's not a dye...it's Alumilite resin with dye and pigment cast with the burl wood.

Dave

I thought it looked more like a filler material. It has a very nice appeal. Nice work.