PDA

View Full Version : Planer Exhaust

Tom Winship
12-21-2012, 7:38 PM
I have a Dewalt 735 Planer that exhausts into my Craftsman shop vac. I've had a problem with it blowing shavings out of the vac around the top of the "bucket". Thinking it was a filter, I cleaned the filter, suction seems normal.
I believe the planer must put out more cfm than the vac can take in; i.e., pressurizing the inside of the vac.

Anyone experience the same problem?

Alan Melbourne
12-21-2012, 7:53 PM
if im right i think the planer has a blower in it.
there is no need for the vac at all. you are only wasting power and overheating the vac.
i would get a barrel or large bucket. cut a hole in the side at the top and glue in a pipe tangentally to the side of the barrel etc.
and cut a hole in the lid and put another pipe in there.
it should act as a seperater . but in this case it will slow down the dust allowing it to settle .
you might want a baffel in there too.

Bobby O'Neal
12-21-2012, 8:28 PM
I have the same planer and also use a shop vac but with a vortex in between. I don't have any issues.

Matt Day
12-21-2012, 9:37 PM
That sounds odd. There are lots of 735 owners that should be able to chime in. Your 735 does have a built in blower but I don't think it would put out more than a shop vac would be pulling. I used a 734 for a couple years with a shop vac and it worked great.

Steve Kohn
12-21-2012, 10:02 PM
I have a central dust collection system powered by a 2HP Grizzly. When I still had my 735 and didn't turn on the DC the fan in the 735 would pressurize about 25 feet of duct and fully inflate the bag on the DC. I believe the original claim is correct. The 735 is overpowering his shopvac. He doesn't need the shopvac.

A quick demonstration would be to plane some wood with the planer exhaust open. Then he would need to us the shopvac.

Myk Rian
12-21-2012, 10:11 PM
if im right i think the planer has a blower in it.
there is no need for the vac at all. you are only wasting power and overheating the vac.
i would get a barrel or large bucket. cut a hole in the side at the top and glue in a pipe tangentally to the side of the barrel etc.
and cut a hole in the lid and put another pipe in there.
it should act as a seperater . but in this case it will slow down the dust allowing it to settle .
you might want a baffel in there too.
Instead of an outlet pipe, put some gunny sack or cheese cloth over the top of the barrel/trash can.

The 735 is overpowering the vac. DCs operate on high air volume. Vacs operate on high static pressure.
One option is to remove the fan from the planer motor, (not recommended by me) but you're better off getting a regular DC.
If you're going to be serious about woodworking, eventually you will get one.

Jim Ritter
12-21-2012, 11:36 PM
I have that planer. It does have a blower and a good one at that. I do not use a separate dust collector. I bought a 35 gal trash can and a top filter bag from a delta dust collector. Full disclosure the tool dealer gave me the bag because he had yet to sell one. The bag fit the trash can perfectly. I cut an "x" in the side of the bag just above the can, stuck in a section of hose and tied a string around it. The blower has enough power to stand the bag up. Easy to empty and I don't have to drag around the big DC. I'll see if I can find a picture.

Tom Blank
12-22-2012, 12:25 AM
I have a 735 that I connect through a Thien Cyclone to a shop vac. Works fine, but I did have to secuerly fasten the cyclone lid to the trash can or the planer would lift the lid.

http://www.jpthien.com/cy.htm

Tom Winship
12-22-2012, 8:42 AM
Thanks, all. This is what I thought was happening. I have a 2HP dust collector. Will just connect it with a reducer for the hose.
Thanks again.

Rick Moyer
12-22-2012, 12:48 PM
Yeah, no need for additional suction. Before I had a cyclone, I just had the over-a-drum bag that DeWalt sells and the blower would send all the stuff into the bag/drum. Pretty good blower they installed in the 735.

Gordon Eyre
12-22-2012, 1:27 PM
I also have the DeWalt planer and connect it to my DC and it collects every single shaving and speck of dust. I wish all my tools were as clean.

Larry Frank
12-23-2012, 8:08 PM
The 735 is a great machine but I just wish it was a little bit quieter....actually a lot quieter..I always have to wear hearing protection.

Before I had a dust collector, I just used a piece of good dryer vent tube into a trash can and it worked great. The blower on that thing is very powerful.

Mike Henderson
12-23-2012, 9:27 PM
The instructions that come with the 735 says not to connect it to a shop vac. I used to blow it into a trash can with a cloth top but now I have it connected to my DC.

Good planer, but as Larry pointed out, LOUD.

Mike

Myk Rian
12-23-2012, 9:39 PM
The 735 is a great machine but I just wish it was a little bit quieter....

The 735 is a great machine but I just wish it was a little bit quieter....actually a lot quieter..I always have to wear hearing protection.
A Byrd head will take care of that. My DC is louder than the planer now.

Joe Scharle
12-24-2012, 9:27 AM
I bought the DeWalt fabric can cover/attachment when I bought my 735. Don't know if it's still offered, but any sturdy fabric should work.