PDA

View Full Version : Got my supercool new log splitter today

Kevin Bourque
12-21-2012, 4:44 PM
It's a DR Supersplit. It doesn't use a hydraulic ram like conventional splitters.
It has two large flywheels that are attached to a ram.
When you pull the handle it sends the ram out to split the log and then retracts .
Total cycle time is about 3 seconds.

I just split about 30 pieces of hickory and ash with it.
Amazingly fast and powerful!!!

http://youtu.be/V95e-sMQTL8

Phil Thien
12-21-2012, 6:54 PM
Way cool.

The thing that always scares me about those is how you tend to move quickly and repetitively and may even start daydreaming. Are there any best practices to keep safe? I think I'd retract my right hand to my hip before engaging the ram.

Stephen Cherry
12-21-2012, 7:13 PM
Nice, where do you buy them?

John Coloccia
12-21-2012, 7:39 PM
I almost got one of those. Ended up getting a hydraulic unit, but the flywheel ones are great. There's basically nothing on it that breaks, too. It's just a flywheel, and I think a rack and pinion. Unless you throw a tooth, the thing should more or less last forever.

Jim Matthews
12-21-2012, 8:38 PM
Mine is a little simpler - it has a handle at one end and an occasionally sharp axe head at the other.

2 cords/year from log length to hearth.
Funny that my kids don't help, much.

Kevin Bourque
12-21-2012, 10:07 PM
Nice, where do you buy them?

I bought it directly from the manufacturer. I think that's the only way they're sold. $2220.95 shipped.

Stephen Cherry
12-21-2012, 11:42 PM
I bought it directly from the manufacturer. I think that's the only way they're sold. $2220.95 shipped.

Looks like a winner, thanks

curtis rosche
12-22-2012, 12:11 AM
an occasionally sharp axe head at the other

funny how its always dull when you go to use it, can cant ever remember hitting the ground with it,,,,, only to find out someone thought it was a digging tool...

Tom Fischer
12-22-2012, 1:47 AM
That thing is fast, really fast, maybe too fast.
I have a Husky, 22 ton hydraulic.
There's a dead man feature that you have to hold the lever up to send the splitter piston into the anvil.
It's a safety feature.
The splitter in the video doesn't have that feature.
Be careful.
You don't want anyone calling you "Lefty"

Chris Damm
12-22-2012, 9:16 AM
And my 20 ton hydraulic splitter cost less than half of that one and works very well! It looks to be much safer too.

Curt Fuller
12-22-2012, 9:45 AM
The only drawback I see to that is that you lose half the heat production of burning wood when you don't work yourself in to a lather swinging a splitting maul.;)

Jason Roehl
12-22-2012, 10:13 AM
How about this one (yikes!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40sCGb678sQ

Jason Roehl
12-22-2012, 10:20 AM
That flywheel splitter in the OP looked pretty cool, but, at least with hydraulic units, I've always found those with the wedge on the ram to be better. The reason for that is if the log doesn't split and gets stuck on the wedge, it can be popped off by a couple tabs on either side of the cylinder when it retracts. But the cycle time was impressive, and I did like the waist-high table. I used to split about 6 cords per year with a hydraulic splitter, and there are definitely a lot of things you can do to speed up the process, but it involves working much like the gentleman in the video--you just have to watch where your hands are at all times.

Kevin Bourque
12-22-2012, 7:03 PM
I spent about 3 house splitting wood today and I actually made a dent in my massive log pile. Soooo much faster than my old splitter. :)