PDA

View Full Version : Finish on a NE form.

Greg McClurg
12-21-2012, 4:19 PM
Hi All,

I'm new to woodturning and just finished my first NE hollow form. I have a couple questions regarding the finish for the piece that I could use some assistance with.
1. Do you apply finish to the natural edge (bark)?
2. This piece is out of maple, and I'm wondering what most people use on light woods. This isn't a piece that I'm going to be showing people so I'm using it just as a learning opportunity. The maple is plain and doesn't have any exciting grain, and I don't necessarily care if it remains a natural color.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg

Fred Belknap
12-21-2012, 5:06 PM
Greg I do quite a bit of NE bowls and I use CA to make the bark stronger. It needs finishing and any drying finish will make it stronger and that is what I use to do. I used WOP. I had a few that came loose so I started using thin Ca to help hold it on the bowl and to make it stronger. I put it on the inside while the bowl is on the lathe and sanded to at least 220. I then take it off the lathe and do the outside. I do this so the thin CA will run toward the edge instead of back on wood. It works pretty good.
I have a lot of people ask me if it will break off easy, I tell them no but if they drop the bowl don't expect it to survive.

Harry Robinette
12-21-2012, 6:26 PM
You can use most any finish but nothing with a wax in it on the bark or you can't get it out.

Bernie Weishapl
12-21-2012, 8:56 PM
I agree with others that any finish works. I use poly or antique oil on all of mine.

Greg McClurg
12-21-2012, 10:01 PM
Thanks everyone for your responses. Fred, I did use CA around the edge to strengthen the bark. I may try the antique oil Bernie to get a more "aged" look rather than using a clear finish since the grain is rather uninteresting.

Greg

Eric Gourieux
12-21-2012, 11:43 PM
I agree with the CA for strengthening the bark. I use AO or spray with lacquer.