PDA

View Full Version : Wondering about Persimmon

Roger Chandler
12-21-2012, 3:46 PM
I was given a piece of persimmon at the last DAMP wood society meeting ....I know persimmon was used in golf club heads [I had a set of persimmon woods years ago] and I am just wondering about its turning characteristics, and being as it is presently in log form, and has some checking on the ends, should I get crackin' on this soon....... or because of the cold weather, am I safe for a while.

I do not know how long ago it was cut, but perhaps if Tony D. or Mike Cruz know, they could offer some guidance........anyone else with a tip or two about persimmon.......chime in! Thanks everyone!

Kevin Lucas
12-21-2012, 4:05 PM
I can't help you on turning it but I do know a good trick with it. Get your grandkid to bite a green persimmon then try and whistle. It sort of drys and puckers you up. Grandpa got me on that ages ago! It is probably going to make some nice turnings as well.

Deane Allinson
12-21-2012, 4:32 PM
Wonderful wood. Polishes out like glass. I have only turned very dry Persimmon so I am not sure about turning wet. I do know that it warps quite a bit when drying. It tends to twist in boards. The very small heart wood can be jet black and tends to split.
Deane

charlie knighton
12-21-2012, 5:14 PM
i had some outside , got black mold, turns fine, hard wood, i think the trunk of tree was like 10 inches wide and had been growing for 30+ years

Thom Sturgill
12-21-2012, 5:36 PM
Persimmon is related to ebony, and is often called American Ebony. Turns and threads well. I remember seeing the 'Woodwright Shop' talk about it many times.

Reed Gray
12-21-2012, 5:55 PM
It has a really bitter stinky smell to it. Hard, not much color. I couldn't get the smell to go away for eating bowls.

robo hippy

Richard Madden
12-21-2012, 6:35 PM
I have a couple of logs, but I haven't turned any of this batch yet. Several years back I did turn a weed pot from persimmon. I remember it does polish up well.

Tony De Masi
12-21-2012, 6:45 PM
Roger, did you get persimmon or sassafras?

Roger Chandler
12-21-2012, 6:51 PM
Roger, did you get persimmon or sassafras?

uh,oh.........maybe it was sassafrass? Some of the wood had a white X painted on it [if my memory serves me correctly?] You probably know much better than I, Tony!??? :o:confused: I remember we were walking around looking at some of those cedar stumps you need to take out and some persimmon trees........maybe I got the things all scrambled in my head.......omlettes anyone? :D

Bernie Weishapl
12-21-2012, 8:54 PM
I like turning persimmon and sassafrass makes the shop smell good. It also turns well.

Roger Chandler
12-21-2012, 9:26 PM
It had to be whatever you guys gave me and we put on the back of my truck.......across from the garage in the driveway.....I think you are right Tony........it was probably sassafras, .......the ends of the log have an orange-ish brown color.......

Roger Chandler
12-21-2012, 9:27 PM
I like turning persimmon and sassafrass makes the shop smell good. It also turns well.

Bernie.....is sassafras prone to a lot of movement or cracking?

Dusty Fuller
12-21-2012, 9:30 PM
The persimmon that I turned was wet and "splattery", and it wasn't because of moisture content... the tree had been dead for a little while and larvae were having a field day. The few things I finished worked out well, though, and I'd like to get a hold of more eventually. Just without the hidden "treats".

Chris Fournier
12-21-2012, 9:51 PM
Persimmon is in the ebony clan. It was used extensively in the textile industry where it was turned into shuttles. It turns beautifully. Persimmon tends to have a buttery yellow caste and is dense while sassafras is more silvery/grey, quite soft and it is very aromatic. Both are a treat to work with!

Mike Cruz
12-21-2012, 10:19 PM
Roger, if it is what I gave you, it is sassafrass. It shouldn't be a particularly hard wood, though persimmon would be. If it has the white X, it is sassafrass. It was cut down a couple of months ago...

Fred Belknap
12-21-2012, 10:19 PM
Roger I read somewhere that persimmon was used as bearings on the wheels of the covered wagons that crossed the west. It was also used as wedges in the timbering industry. I made several bowls from one that blew down on my farm. It turned very nice and took a nice finish. I left some lay on the ground for a couple of months and when turned it was full of holes and slimey worms.

Roger Chandler
12-21-2012, 10:32 PM
Roger, if it is what I gave you, it is sassafrass. It shouldn't be a particularly hard wood, though persimmon would be. If it has the white X, it is sassafrass. It was cut down a couple of months ago...

Thank you for clearing that up Mike........it is the log you gave me.......sorry for the cornfusion!!! :D

Mike Cruz
12-21-2012, 10:36 PM
Cornfusion? Did you meld two kernels of maize together? :D

Roger Chandler
12-21-2012, 10:41 PM
The knowledge of the turners here is a treasure trove .......I have never turned or worked with sassafras or persimmon, and now I feel like I have some idea of what to expect.....to all of you who commented, thank you much! I just hope I can avoid all the slimey wormy stuff! :eek:

Scot Roberge
12-21-2012, 11:32 PM
Roger:

Sassafras doesn't get very big here in north Georgia. Here are some pictures of an end grain piece I turned from about a 6" tree cut down in my yard. It's a slightly coarse textured wood, but turns and finishes easily. Your shop will never smell sweeter! Happy turning . . .

248609 248610

Philip Duffy
12-22-2012, 5:56 AM
It makes great tool handles. Feels good, strong and absorbs shock well. Enjoy.

Tony De Masi
12-22-2012, 6:52 AM
If it has the white "X" then it's some of the sassafras that Mike brought over.

Fred Belknap
12-22-2012, 7:21 AM
Roger iIIRC sassafras is pretty toxic. Make sure you don breath the dust.

Mike Cruz
12-22-2012, 7:58 AM
Not saying you aren't correct, Fred, but interesting that it would be toxic when tea is made from its roots...Maybe just the dust is toxic...

Roger Chandler
12-22-2012, 11:17 AM
Roger iIIRC sassafras is pretty toxic. Make sure you don breath the dust.

I will have to check out the toxicity on the AAW list.......I have had enough lung issues with pneumonia over the years.....do not want to aggravate the bronchials!!! Thanks for the heads up Fred!