PDA

View Full Version : New laser user

Gerald Walsh
04-26-2005, 3:44 PM
Newby! I've just purchased a 35 watt laser for engraving specialty products and gifts. I'm looking for any information on a dependable source for inlay materials including exotic woods. Also, do most people use veneers for inlay, wood thins, or hobby plywood? Any direction and or suggestions or recommendations would be great and any information on sources. Thanks

Kevin Huffman
04-26-2005, 4:45 PM
GWalsh
Welcome to the creek, where the information is great and the people are even better.
I am a tech support person from Pinnacle lasers. I don't have leads for any of the materials you are asking for but just wanted to say Hi.

Alan Young
04-26-2005, 6:14 PM
Welcome

I have done a few inlay signs and have cut the stock my self. I found that about 1/8 or slightly thinner works real well. I purchased a bunch of veneer to try and do some marquetry but have not been able to try it. I cut the letters out of the thin stock and then cut away the relief with the laser. I have found that if I scale the letters or the inlay part by .001 Then it compensates for the laser curf. I then glue them together and sand with a surface sander. Just and idea.

Good luck with the laser.

Alan