PDA

View Full Version : What to do with an old (but unused) RAS

Thomas Marr
12-21-2012, 10:55 AM
I have a unused lower-end Delta RAS that I bought at a weak moment years ago. I never even set it up. I already have a nice SCMS. So, are there any dedicated uses for an RAS that make sense and justify the floor space? I don't need a "permanent" cut off saw to break down long lumber. I've seen Norm use one with a dado blade, which is nice for some stuff (assuming my version would be accurate enough). Any ideas before I craigslist this thing?

Jamie Lynch
12-21-2012, 11:13 AM
I've been offered several RAS's since I got my shop. The only dedicated use I can think of that would be at all useful to me would be setup as a dado saw, but I really dont think I want to use the space. I'd just sell it.

Terry Beadle
12-21-2012, 11:19 AM
I have a 30+ year old Craftsman that I use for cross cutting stock to rough dimentions. Works great. Worth the space no question. The after market for such a saw is less than $100 here in Georgia...so I keep it....cause it's worth more to me for what I use it for than what I'd get on the market. Speeds up the process too when dealing with stock more than 4 foot long.

Rick Potter
12-21-2012, 7:27 PM
Thomas,

Most any Delta RAS is nicer than just a 'cut off saw'. If you set it up with a fence that has stops, it will be a very accurate crosscut saw. I have a DeWalt Miter saw, and use the RAS at least 10:1, probably much more. It makes repeated cuts right on the money.

Since you have it, why not try it out?

What model is it?

Rick Potter

glenn bradley
12-21-2012, 8:24 PM
There are plenty of people out there that find them indispensable. I would look for one of those guys ;-)

Myk Rian
12-21-2012, 10:23 PM
There are plenty of people out there that find them indispensable.
Like me. My DeWalt is my goto tool for crosscuts, miters, compound cuts, anything but ripping.

Jim Ritter
12-21-2012, 10:38 PM
Here is a RAS repurposed in to a drum sander. The conveyor belt is from a tread mill. It looked very well made. But I didn't buy it. I did buy another tool he repurposed, but that is a different story.

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m628/boatman53/8575a74520a9ae8a94957f1987a2285d.jpg

Ken Fitzgerald
12-21-2012, 11:39 PM
Someday I hope to buy a used one just for dados.....