PDA

View Full Version : New piece for C&C + Wood ID?

Chris Studley
12-21-2012, 10:45 AM
Hi All,

Hope the holiday season is treating you all well.

It's been a while since I Posted any of my work, I haven't had as much shop time as I'd like and I've spent much of it Rough turning items from some wood that I had gotten. I have been told that It was Oak, but I'm not so sure. Previously, the only Oak I ahd turned was Pin Oak. This was nothing like it, while I do understand Pin oak is a little dark etc. but I have seen a lot of oak turnings here(lookin at you Roger:)) some red, some white and so on.

The wood below. as you can see has none of the common "rays" and wasn't open grain. The dark wood in the middle is because of a long dead limb that was grown over, so I'm not sure we should think it's heartwood.

Size: 7.5" x 6 x 2.5" ...ish.

Finish: French Polish & Paste Wax (I wish there was less yellowing from the BLO in the Polish, will try WTF or shellac on the next)

248539 248540 248541 248542

I apologize for the bad Cell Photos, especially the side view, but wanted to show the profile. Photo setup is several items down on the wish list, I'll get there eventually.

C&C appreciated.

Thanks All...

Roger Chandler
12-21-2012, 11:00 AM
Not sure what the wood is either.......that being said, the grain reminds me of cherry........the sapwood and the dark area is the heartwood.....whatever it is. Lots of wood has similar grain, but just from what it looks like in your pics, the grain does not resemble oak to me. Nice bowl!

Bernie Weishapl
12-21-2012, 11:27 AM
Really nice NE. It also reminds me of cherry. From your pictures it sure doesn't look like oak.

Leo Van Der Loo
12-21-2012, 11:32 AM
My first impression is Silver Maple, but like you say the pictures are not clear/sharp at all, but Oak it isn't.

Fred Belknap
12-21-2012, 12:51 PM
It looks like some sugar(hard) maple I recently turned. I like that NE, it's one of my favorite forms to turn.

Richard Coers
12-21-2012, 12:51 PM
+1 with Leo, silver maple. Absolutely not oak.

Roger Chandler
12-21-2012, 3:41 PM
The color on the camera pics does throw one off on their guess...:confused:....I could see maple.........I would not argue with Leo about a wood species! :D