View Full Version : Cabinet door - what is too wide?

Jeff R. King
12-21-2012, 8:54 AM
I'm building a gun cabinet for myself similar to the cabinet below. I'm debating if I should do one door or two. If one, the door will be 62" high by 33" wide. I plan on making it with 2 1/2" rails and stiles with 1/4" plywood glued in.

i know that is a pretty big door and suspect there may be problems with that size...warping, weight, looks? I guess I'm just asking for any advice here. Thanks - Jeff

Todd Burch
12-21-2012, 9:04 AM
It'll sag, unless it's glued up as one solid unit (the panels glued to the rails and stiles). Even so, I might still be inclined for 3" wide rails stiles, and maybe even wider on the bottom rail.

Todd

Edward Dyas
12-21-2012, 9:28 AM
The wardrobe you show in the picture has a pair of doors. This would be better if you are using wooden panels. If you are making a glass door you should have no problem making a single door. I made a cabinet about 20 years ago with a pine door with glass and just cut the glass size pretty close to the opening size and it prevents if from saging. If you are going to use a plywood panel you could get away with gluing the panel in the door to stabilize it.

Sam Murdoch
12-21-2012, 9:36 AM
My thinking is that with wider rails and stiles and good joinery you should be able to make the door with a floating panel and have no issues. I would at the least use 3" rails and top stile, and with 4 or 4-1/2" bottom rail. I especially like the look of cabinet doors with taller bottom rails. You will certainly need 3 hinges and likely 4 but this depends on the thickness of your face frame and door stock. Thicker stock allows for a more substantial and therefore fewer hinges. If you are planning on using all 3/4 stock I would build 2 doors. Make certain you flat joint your stiles. For a doors this tall flat stiles are essential. One other possible concern on a shallow cabinet - is how unstable the cabinet could become with a wide door fully opened off to one side. Looks like a good project. Enjoy.

John Lanciani
12-21-2012, 9:57 AM
One issue with a wide door is the amount of space it takes to open and close it. I think that anything over 24" is awkward in addition to the issues of sag and warp. Another thing to consider it the hinges and mounting screws. a 33" wide door is a pretty long lever pulling on them.

Jeff Duncan
12-21-2012, 1:39 PM
There's no real rule to define the widest door for any given piece, but I try to keep it so it looks "right". Generally with cabinet doors I won't exceed 24" unless I'm sure it looks OK. I'll also add loose tenons when it gets too big as it's a lot of leverage the wider the door gets. Also if you do make it the size your planning I'd recommend going thicker on the stiles and rails and using a 3/8" mdf panel. You'll then be able to glue it in for additional strength, it will stay flat, and you'll avoid the awful rattling you can sometimes get from a loose panel that big;)

good luck,
JeffD

Jeff R. King
12-21-2012, 2:32 PM
Thanks for the replies. I think I just needed someone to talk me into two doors rather than one.

jk

brian c miller
12-21-2012, 3:58 PM
I'd you 2 door and then a center divider with shelves... long guns on one side, handguns on the other.

scott vroom
12-21-2012, 4:52 PM
+1 on 2 doors

Von Bickley
12-21-2012, 7:18 PM
+1 on 2 doors

I agree with Scott

Dave Zellers
12-21-2012, 7:26 PM
+2 on 2.

Looks better, works better, lasts longer.

Michael E. Smith
12-21-2012, 8:52 PM
I have been in cabinet shops for over 35 years. Anything more then 21" and you are looking for problems.