PDA

View Full Version : VLS 3.50 alignment

Frédéric PARROT
12-21-2012, 5:27 AM
Hi all,

On a VLS 3.50 purchased this year, on which direction rotate the screws to adjust the alignment?

There are 3 screws on the support of the mirror # 2 :
- One on the left middle.
- Two on the right (with one on the top and one on the bottom).

I already read this message from Mike Mackenzie :
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?138536-Versalaser-Alignment-Feature&p=1405418#post1405418 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?138536-Versalaser-Alignment-Feature&p=1405418#post1405418)
"There are three adjustment screws on the back of the #2 mirror the top screw on the right is for UP/DOWN adjustment The lower left screw is for LEFT/RIGHT adjustment. Do not turn the lower right screw this is how it pivots and if you loosen it you could have issues."

But the description of screw positioning does not seem (unless my English is not good enough).

Before making a stupidity thing, I would appreciate any help from those who have already done this.

Guy Hilliard
12-21-2012, 7:15 PM
Fred;

Place a piece of masking tape over the hole in the left side of the lens assembly.
Turn on the red pointer.
Adjust the screws while observing the direction that the red pointer moves on the masking tape.

Frédéric PARROT
12-22-2012, 2:06 AM
Guy,

Thanks for the response.
This is what I have doing, but only with 2 screws like Mike says in his message.
But the result is not perfect.
I engrave a small square inside, leaving a small edge all around.
The piece is 5 mm wide (0.20 in), hence the importance of a perfect setting.
The right edge is more large than the left edge.
As I have tried everything with the 2 screws and I still have the problem, my question is should I also touch to the setting of the third screw. I did not dare for fear of making a no-brainer as Mike appears said.

Edit : I forgot to say a thing.
When I am in the "alignment" page and I tested the 3 positions of the right column, the burned part is slightly above the red pointer.

Guy Hilliard
12-24-2012, 12:15 PM
Fred,

Those two screws are the only adjustment available. Could you post a picture of the issue so we can see the problem?

The red pointer dot should be adjusted so that it falls in the center of the hole on the left side of the lens assembly. When it is centered leave the tape over the hole and then cut a short line (0.02" long) at 10% power and 50% speed in the upper right corner of the table. The hole / mark on the tape should also be centered on the hole. If it is not centered then put another piece of tape on the hole and adjust the red marker so that it is offset the same distance but in the opposite direction that the power laser hole / mark was from the center in the previous test. Burn the short line again checking that the hole / mark is now centered, repeat until the hole / mark is centered.

Rerun your part to check.

Frédéric PARROT
12-26-2012, 6:02 AM
Guy,

Thanks for your explaination.

I drew my problem.
The square is in 0.02 in.
The black part is for engraving, the red line is for cutting.
This has worked very well for 7 months and now it's panic!
I have already done several times on my old laser machine and I was quickly able to align properly, but on this new machine is not easy.

On the photo, the "LM" correspond to the 2nd drawing.At the top right of the picture, there are 2 "R", the left is good and the right is bad.

Frédéric PARROT
12-26-2012, 8:18 AM
I'm progressing!
I just take a small residue of molten plastic into the slot under the magnetic mirror.
I think the mirror should move a little at work.
I'll try to find my original alignment now.

Guy Hilliard
12-26-2012, 9:40 PM
Nothing in the optics should "move"!!!

In looking at the issue I don't think the problem is the alignment of your optics.

Regardless of the optical alignment the laser will strike the material in the same place regardless of whether you are doing an engraving or cutting pass and providing the material has not been moved between the engraving and cutting passes the parts will be engraved and cut exactly as they appear in the drawing that the engraving and cutting are driven from.

Check that the cutting and engraving are properly aligned in the drawing. Make sure that the material (and the table under it) do not move between the engraving and cutting passes.