PDA

View Full Version : My Newest Little Gloat

Kathy Marshall
12-20-2012, 11:06 PM
Last week I was visiting Doug Thompson's website ;). Hadn't been there in a while and thought it was time to see if there was anything new.
I've had his 1/4" detail gouge for about a year, I love it for finial work but when I bought it he didn't have a handle with a 1/4" nose. It came with an adapter to fit my 1/2" nose handle, so that's what I've been using. Sometimes it was a little awkward using a 16", fairly heavy handle, with a little 1/4 gouge on a tiny spindle.
Last year when I ordered a new 3/8" bowl gouge, I asked Doug when he thought he might have a handle for 1/4" tools. He said he hoped to have them in time for San Jose, but I didn't see any there.
But I did see them last week on his website :D. So I gave Doug a call and put in an order.
It's just a little baby handle, but it's perfect for close in work (when I have to bend close in, in order to see what I'm doing) and not having a big ole handle in the way. I just need to get used to how much lighter it is than my previous set up.
I think it looks really cute next to it's big brother :D.
If I can't turn, I guess I need to find more things to take pics of and post :eek: and I think I'll give the chainsaw a workout this weekend ;).

Bernie Weishapl
12-20-2012, 11:23 PM
Cool little handle. Going to have to check that out.

Roger Chandler
12-21-2012, 5:38 AM
Very nice K! I like my little 1/4" detail gouge a lot. It really gets into those little places and allows for nice detail work.

Michael Stafford
12-21-2012, 6:51 AM
I use short handles (7-9" long) for virtually all of my spindle, box, finial etc. turning. I found it much easier to turn these items with short handled tools in front of me rather than the normal long handled tools off to the side. I also turn with both hands so when I want to switch a short handled tool makes it easier. Seldom do you have your tool projecting very far over the tool rest for spindle oriented items therefore a long handle is not needed to counteract the leverage.

I bought some aluminum adaptors which I installed in wooden handles of varying species so that I can recognize a tool by the handle. I spoiled myself by using exotics or highly figured woods for each handle. The exotics are more dense and provide more heft for the larger gouges. I also drilled the interior of the handle out so that I can insert the tool shaft farther into the handle and limit its projection as needed. When I travel with my tools I reverse the tool so that the flute and tip are inside the handle making them safer for transport and also protecting my sharp edges.

Harry Robinette
12-21-2012, 7:05 PM
Kathy
I seen those handles the other day when I went up to Doug's. All my 1/4" tools I've already made handles for so I'm going to hold off.I think like Mike S.that short handle will be allot easier to handle in those tight places.Now your be doing even better with your finials.