PDA

View Full Version : Woodworker's Supply Contest???

George M. Perzel
04-26-2005, 3:03 PM
Hi All;
Woodworker's Supply (www. woodworker.com) is currently running a contest for the best solution to a woodworking problem. They are looking for ideas which can be developed and "productized" and are awarding 50 prizes for the best ideas with the top prize a Delta Unisaw. Sounds great-right?

Please read the fine print.
1. All ideas submitted automatically belong to them and they have the sole discretion of whether to turn it into a product or not. You give up all rights to the idea/product, even if they don't do anything with it!
2. You may or may not win a prize-the rights to all ideas belong to them. They can sell or give away the idea or dispose of it as they see fit.
3. If your idea is commercialized, you will receive a royalty of 5% of the first years sales , not to exceed $10,000.
4. You must certify that, to the best of your knowledge, you are the originator of the idea/product.

This is a wonderful opportunity for them. For roughly $10,000 worth of prizes (my generous estimate)-also a marketing writeoff, they have an opportunity to gather the legal rights to an incredible number of ideas from a extremely large population of small business and hobby woodworkers all over the world (I used to get their catalog in Dubai!)

Enough said- draw your own conclusions but I, for one, will never buy anything from this company again.

Zahid Naqvi
04-26-2005, 3:21 PM
Hi All;

3. If your idea is commercialized, you will receive a royalty of 5% of the first years sales , not to exceed $10,000.

On top of their generous offer to share 5% of the profits they put a $10,000 cap.

Allen Bookout
04-26-2005, 3:22 PM
I agree. What a potential rip off.

Keith Christopher
04-26-2005, 3:40 PM
Usually a bad sign when a company does something like this. I take it as impending doom.

John Weber
04-26-2005, 3:51 PM
Lighten up guys, I think it's a nice idea. No one is forced to submit an entry, and anyone is free to take thier idea to market. WWS is a outstanding company and yes gets to generate new product ideas from entries, but customers also benefit from sharing ideas and maybe a nice prize for the effort. How many people submit ideas to ww mags? These are often republished in books and DVD's. Free to choose, but I think it is a fair and decent proposal.

John

Jim W. White
04-26-2005, 6:04 PM
I think you guys are being a little alarmist. If you don't like the grounds of the contest than simply don't enter.

I've used WWS repeatedly over the years and have always been extremely pleased with them. They ship things out very quickly; and on top of great service if you go to their site by first going through TOOLSEEKER.COM they give you FREE SHIPPING :D

my 2 cents

Richard Wolf
04-26-2005, 6:07 PM
Maybe this is the route Steve Gass should have taken, he would now be the proud owner of a unisaw!!

Richard

Harry Goodwin
04-26-2005, 7:29 PM
Our protographer friends have been signing off on that kind of a deal for good or evil for a long time. Their pictures turn up everywhere. Harry

Keith Christopher
04-26-2005, 7:53 PM
Oh I'm not knocking them. I will still buy from them, but this seems a little short sighted on their part. The idea submitted should get 5% up to 10K then 2-3 percent for say 2-3 years after, but it is up to them ulitmately.

Keith

Jeff Sudmeier
04-26-2005, 8:37 PM
I just checked this out. Makes you always want to read the fine print on any drawing! Man!