PDA

View Full Version : SuperMax 1938

David Blankenshp
12-20-2012, 7:41 PM
I am getting ready to order my annual Christmas gift for myself. Anyone got any coments on the SuperMax 1938 drum sander.
Thanks

Jim Andrew
12-20-2012, 8:48 PM
I'm not familiar with that particular drum sander, but many drum sanders cost more than the small Grizzly widebelt I have. Check out the G9983. It is only a 16" belt, but is open end so you can reverse panels.

Mike Heidrick
12-20-2012, 9:13 PM
If you are pricing supermax why not look into used widebelt.

William C Rogers
12-21-2012, 4:09 AM
David

I have the 1938 and really like it. I may be the only one on this form that has that sander as I haven't seen any other owners comment. I did a review on this form when I first got it and haven't changed my mind. You can look up that review. The 19 inch size has been ideal for me making new kitchen cabinets. My largest cabinet will be 38 inches with the doors being 18 1/2, so they will go through without having to turn them. I use it for many other things such as making all my rails, stiles, and face frames a uniform width. I usually cut them a slight amount over and tape a group together and run through the drum sander for final width. This also removes any saw marks and makes final ROS easy. I think the Supermax has some nice improvements over other drum sanders. My budget wouldn't let me consider a widebelt. I didn't even look at used as my knowledge of sanders is limited and wouldn't know if one was ok or not. The main thing I can offer is I am very happy with this sander, but have no experience with a widebelt or any other brand.

Bill

Matt Meiser
12-21-2012, 11:04 AM
I've looked at it a couple times in a store. Its very similar to the Jet 16-32, but with a lot of really nice enhancements. But, if I was buying a sander, or got a do-over on my Jet 16-32, I'd buy the General International dual drum machine. There's just no comparison between the small open end sanders and that.