PDA

View Full Version : Last step before applying finish?

Dan Forman
04-26-2005, 2:57 PM
Yet another question from this newbie. What is the last thing y'all do to a piece before before beginning to apply the finish (e.g. sand, card scraper, smoothing plane, anything else).

Thanks much.

Dan

Rob Millard
04-26-2005, 7:28 PM
Dan,

Every surface no matter how it was prepared has to be sanded a least a little. I sand mostly with a RO sander with 220 grit as a starting point on scraped surfaces, followed by 320 grit (occasionally I will start with 180 grit but never anything more coarse). Planed surfaces get a very light hand sanding with 320 grit just prior to finishing removing any handling marks. Since I typically use water based aniline dyes, I have to raise the grain and sand again. If I were to use stains, I would probably only go to 220 grit, to avoid burnishing the wood. My biggest problem with sanding was learning to take my time. I used to think that a fairly quick pass with sander was all I needed, until I realized that I'd have to go over any areas where there were pencil marks. It dawned on me that a pencil mark is imperceptibly thin, and if I weren't removing them, I wasn't removing much wood either. Now I go very slowly and methodically with a grit just coarse enough to get the job done, and then work up to the 320 grit level. This has made my finishes better, and that has made the difference in being able to sell the finished piece.
Rob Millard

Tim Sproul
04-27-2005, 12:35 AM
My last step is to wipe down the surface with mineral spirits to see if I've left tear out or track marks or any other such imperfections.

I categorically diasagree with Rob's statement: "Every surface no matter how it was prepared has to be sanded a least a little."

Louis Bois
04-27-2005, 8:04 AM
I have to agree with Tim on this one. The surface I get when I use my Shepherd infill smoother is ready for finishing. It basically gives a mirror finish. The only reason I'd use sandpaper after the smoother would be if I need to "rough up" the surface a bit!!!:eek::D

I also use card scrapers in tight areas or really nasty figured woods that demand and extremely light cut.

Jerry Palmer
04-28-2005, 1:33 PM
Ditto what Tim said. One of my least favorite things in WWing is sanding, and between my smoother and a couple scrapers, sandpaper only gets used to sand filming finish between coats and sometimes I'll use a card scraper for that.

Dan Forman
04-28-2005, 2:02 PM
Thanks for the responses. Maybe I should have done this as a poll, as I was trying to get a feel for how many of you were trying to avoid sanding when possible. It looks like other methods can be substituted.

Dan

Tom Saurer
04-29-2005, 11:10 AM
I try to stay away from sanding as much as possible. It's a lot more work then need be, plus I don't like all those fine particles floating around. I usually use a card scrapper to get a smooth surface. The only time I use sandpaper on purpose is on end grain.

Jerry Palmer
04-29-2005, 3:47 PM
I try to stay away from sanding as much as possible. It's a lot more work then need be, plus I don't like all those fine particles floating around. I usually use a card scrapper to get a smooth surface. The only time I use sandpaper on purpose is on end grain.

And only then when that darn tailed router burned some of the endgrain on the decorative edge I thought to add. Since sandpaper in my shop is relegated to working metal and leveling finishes, it took forever with 320 grit (the coursest I had around) to eat past the burned stuff.