PDA

View Full Version : Technique for RubnBuff on engraved glass ?

Greg Holt
12-20-2012, 6:18 PM
I just got some RubnBuff to enhance my glass engraving.

Was surprised how difficult it was to wipe off the excess after drying.

Obviously my application technique is poor.

Can any one share their method please.

Greg

Dan Hintz
12-20-2012, 6:25 PM
Rub in, let dry. Wrap a 2x4 in a clean rag moistened with mineral spirits, then lightly rub across the engraving. If you do it right, the stuff in the engraving should remain.

Vicki Rivrud
12-20-2012, 7:41 PM
Hi Greg,
Although RnB is a great product, I prefer to use Gilders paste.

It isn't runny, doesn't seperate & the color dries to a colorfast, hard-wax finish in 12 hours (dries to the touch in 10–15 minutes).

1/10th the cost of RnB - made in the USA.

Remove with mineral spirits - use a sanding block or marble base or a good ole 2 x 4 with a paper towel.

When working with glass, stone & acrylic, I've been able to clean-up in a snap with Old English lemon oil.

I actually use as a fill, not just a coloring; it doesn't shrink and dries hard as nails and can be sanded.

Be sure your engraving isn't too shallow as it needs some tooth to hang onto but remember a little goes a long way.

It's also rated for outdoor use with a UV protect clear-coat.

Hope that helps,
Vicki

Bill Cunningham
12-20-2012, 8:09 PM
I find a quick wipe with a cotton cloth 'dampened' with methylhydrate works great.. I just did 150 wine bottles with RnB gold leaf, the MH cleaned them up nice. If the cloth is only dampened, it doesn't pull it out of the etch. The usual sources I had no longer stock it, so I found it on the internet for $2.98 a tube (usually $6-$11) in Canada, so I bought 10 tubes and had them in about 5 days by usps..

Greg Holt
12-20-2012, 9:20 PM
Thanks for the tips people.

I had to google methylhydrate. Methanol.

I have Ethanol, a by-product of my son's still. I will try that.

Or maybe Methylated Spirits. Australian equvalent to Denatured Alcohol.

Greg

Dick Jordan
12-20-2012, 9:24 PM
Vicki,
You stated that gilders paste is "1/10th the cost of RnB". A quick search of the web appears to me to be considerably more expensive than RnB.
Could you share your source for Gilders paste?
Thanks

Vicki Rivrud
12-20-2012, 9:52 PM
I purchased the tins directly from gilderspaste website - the url is exactly the same . . . . dot com.

In Florida the RnB little tubes are running close to $6.50 - 7.50 each and the tube is only 1/2 fluid ounce. Yes I could order over the net but then you add on shipping . . . and sometimes white just isn't available.
Sometimes the suspension fluid is already leaking out of the tube . . . maybe our weather.

The gilderspaste comes in a tin, if it dries out a little paint thinner or dna softens and extends - I use so little to get a good fill or good color in comparison to R n B, which is runny IMHO and half the time I wind up with a broken tube after squeezing and then it dries out in the tube, which is a waste and a pain!

Gilders Paste Sizes:
Small tin (1.5 oz – 27 ml) will cover approximately 30 square feet (2.78 meters) $8.50
Large tin (4.0 oz – 92 ml) will cover approximately 100 square feet (9.29 meters) $16.50

When I factored how I use it product, the quantity needed in wax form vs liquid it worked out to about 1/10th of what I had to pay.

The other factor is R n B is not rated for outdoor use and really didn't do the trick for me on engraved acrylic pens ( I needed a fill ), metals and many of the "stone" outdoor items like urns, cemetary monuments & time capsule covers that I do. A rattle can of gold or whatever isn't good for me due to asthma attacks. The paste is fast and convienant in our shop. Lithichrome has been sold to an Italian company and they have monkey'd with the formula so I use the gilderspaste more than anything, except for the bricks & pavers.

You gotta use what ever gets your job done!

Hope that helps,
Vicki

Chuck Stone
12-21-2012, 3:24 PM
In Florida the RnB little tubes are running close to $6.50 - 7.50 each and the tube is only 1/2 fluid ounce.
Sometimes the suspension fluid is already leaking out of the tube . . . maybe our weather.

- I use so little to get a good fill or good color in comparison to R n B, which is runny IMHO and half the time I wind up with a broken tube after squeezing and then it dries out in the tube, which is a waste and a pain!

The other factor is R n B is not rated for outdoor use and really didn't do the trick for me on engraved acrylic pens ( I needed a fill ), metals and many of the "stone" outdoor items like urns, cemetary monuments & time capsule covers that I do.

I wonder if we're getting a different Rub&Buff than you are.
The stuff I find here is thicker than toothpaste, not the least bit runny.
And I've been using it on acrylic pens for a while now, without issue.
I also use it on wood pen barrels and then cast it in resin.
And like you say of the gilders wax, a tiny amount goes a long way.
Don't know about outdoors, I've never tried that. But I wonder if it
is the same stuff? I just saw it this afternoon at Michaels for $4.94
and you KNOW how overpriced they are! Still, they have 50% off
coupons all the time, so it isn't quite as bad..

Bill Cunningham
12-27-2012, 9:06 PM
You can get Rub n Buff here for $2.87 a tube all metallic colours..
http://www.allartsupplies.com/item.php?articleId=3379
It does not come in the retail blister cards, just the tubes in a bag.. I only use 'gold leaf' RnB but they will probably have what you need..The shipping for 10 tubes to Canada was about $14.00 so U.S. shipping should be darn cheap..