PDA

View Full Version : 3 Sisters

Harry Robinette
12-20-2012, 5:39 PM
I named these bowls 3 Sisters cause thats were there going,there Christmas presents for my 3 sisters. They have bowls Ive turned but they all wanted dough bowls to raise bread dough in. These had to be made like our grandmothers was heavy wood that wont transfer anything to the dough. Finishing them with Tried & True oil and then they'll get a couple coats of George's Club House wax it's made for food safe items and leaves the best feeling finish I've ever found.
This cherry is turning sooo nice as you can see I have one to go and it's set-up for tomorrow. These blank are still pretty wet and way in at 55# each they've been so much fun. I'll try to remember to take a picture before I clean up the shavings.
Oh ya there coming out right at 15" x 6" deep and there about 1/2" thick walls.

paul vechart
12-20-2012, 6:33 PM
Harry...your sisters are going to love those bowls. I could not help but seeing your gouge colletion in the back ground of the last picture...nice! How long will you have to wait after turning the bowls before your able to finish sanding and waxing? Again great looking bowls...love the cherry.

Paul

Harry Robinette
12-20-2012, 6:49 PM
I sand and oil 3 coats while there still on the lathe then plastic bag it over night next day oil again and remove from lathe.Then I'll hand sand to 600 and oil again next day sand with the 600 again and wax. My bowls usually do worp some but I don't get cracking. Then there put on vacuum chuck and bottoms get done then I put 1 coat of oil and 2 or 3 coats of wax.

Eric Gourieux
12-20-2012, 7:04 PM
Those are nice big bowls. I like the simple, practical forms. Your finishing process is interesting.

Roger Chandler
12-20-2012, 7:08 PM
Nice bowls, nice bowl lathe and nice gouge collection! You do have a very interesting finishing process........is "Tried & True" oil a blend of oils or is it walnut oil, etc? Good work Harry!

Toby Bouder
12-20-2012, 7:14 PM
Nice looking bowls Harry. I love the feel of big hefty bowls like that. I also love the smell of all those cherry shavings!

Toby

Jamie Donaldson
12-20-2012, 7:18 PM
Nice bowls, nice collection of Doug's tools, but what really caught my attention is your very clean and well organized shop! Howdjudodat?

Kathy Marshall
12-20-2012, 9:55 PM
Very nice bowls Harry! Your sisters are going to love them!

Bernie Weishapl
12-20-2012, 10:12 PM
Those are beauties and will be cherished.

Baxter Smith
12-20-2012, 10:41 PM
Great looking and useful bowls Harry. Cherry rarely gets that big around here.

Harry Robinette
12-20-2012, 11:39 PM
Roger
Tried & True is a highly refined polymerized Linseed oil that MUST be applied by rubbing it into the wood. If you don't rub it in till it's almost dry it takes 3 to 7 days to dry,I've had it still wet after 5 day's the first time I used it. It's a very nice product if you remember to really rub it in.
The wax is bee's wax and mineral oil that's made here in Cleveland by a guy I've known for awhile who sells his wax through Woodcraft, for some reason it gives the wood a silky soft feeling which I've never been able to get any other way.

Doug W Swanson
12-20-2012, 11:57 PM
Man, the next tool you need is a coring system!:D I'd hate to waste that much cherry!

Great bowls, Harry!

Michelle Rich
12-21-2012, 6:49 AM
they will be thrilled..super big bowls..

Doug Herzberg
12-21-2012, 6:58 AM
It's good that you're back in the shop, Harry. The bowls look great. If my four sisters were to read this post, they'd want to trade me in for someone like you.

Greg Just
12-21-2012, 8:40 AM
Great looking bowls Harry. They should be well received. Nice looking shop too. Mine has never been that clean.

Pat Scott
12-21-2012, 9:08 AM
Very nice bowls. There's something about a nice, pleasing bowl that I think is sexy. Classic simple shape, nice curve, good proportions, very nice indeed.
6" is fairly deep, do you have any problems cutting the inside bottom? We don't have any Cherry where I live (CO) so I'm jealous. And I agree, a coring system should be on your Christmas List.

Fred Belknap
12-21-2012, 9:48 AM
I wouldn't know how to work in a shop that clean. Big cherry bowls are nice but I always turn mine twice. I know some like bowls warped but I prefer mine round, not that they all come out that way.

Gus Dundon
12-21-2012, 2:39 PM
I want to have those .Very enticing .:)

Harry Robinette
12-21-2012, 5:39 PM
Ok the bad thing is I have a coring system but just ain't that good with it yet and finding this cherry took a long time. I really wanted to core these but couldn't take the chance of blowing one I only got 1 1/2 pieces just enough to make 3 bowls.