PDA

View Full Version : Bench Vises

Michael E. Smith
12-20-2012, 4:14 PM
I posted this thread yesterday but can't seem to find it. I am build a woodworkers bench. I already mounted a tail vise and now I want to install a face vise. I am torn between a 10" Jorgensen and a 12" Rockler End vise. Are there any pros or cons on using an End Vice on the front of my bench as a face vise. I spent a lot of time and money on this bench so I want to do it right.

Jim Stewart
12-20-2012, 4:31 PM
I don't know about the Rockler. I just replaced my Jorgensen 10" with a Eclipse 10" vise. $159 at Woodcraft and $10 off with code 12025. The vise is the same as the old Record vise. I love it because it has no side to side play. I would consider the Eclipse the right way. These vises are made in Czechoslovakia using the Record molds. Record was trying to reduce production costs and was going to sublet making the vises to this group. Somehow Record went bankrupt and are out of business. Jim

Michael E. Smith
12-20-2012, 7:25 PM
I don't know about the Rockler. I just replaced my Jorgensen 10" with a Eclipse 10" vise. $159 at Woodcraft and $10 off with code 12025. The vise is the same as the old Record vise. I love it because it has no side to side play. I would consider the Eclipse the right way. These vises are made in Czechoslovakia using the Record molds. Record was trying to reduce production costs and was going to sublet making the vises to this group. Somehow Record went bankrupt and are out of business. Jim

Thanks Jim, I have seen that vice in Woodcraft. But I didn't know anything about the. Where did you get the discount code?

Ben Martin
12-20-2012, 10:14 PM
....your other thread is in the Workshops forum...

:D

Gary Hodgin
12-20-2012, 10:19 PM
Michael,
If you go to Woodcraft's website should find the code in the top right hand corner of the opening page.

Michael E. Smith
12-21-2012, 9:24 AM
Thanks, I am new to this. Still stumbling around

Michael E. Smith
12-21-2012, 9:25 AM
Thanks I will do that