PDA

View Full Version : Moderator Notes

Jim Becker
04-26-2005, 1:25 PM
Ok...my arm was twisted (lightly...) and I volunteered to watch after this forum about finishing. It's my pleasure to help out SMC in this capacity. Please note that I'm not a finishing expert, but have tried to pay great attention to what folks incredibly more experienced say about the subject over time. Maybe someday I'll have the opportunity to apply their advice more often...

There are hopefully only two things I will be doing relative to this forum: 1) keeping an eye on things to avoid non-civil behavior...something rare at SMC and 2) occasionally posting a stimulating discussion thread that revolves around finishing, much as Mark does in the Design Forum. While there is huge value in getting answers to specific questions from a bunch of folks, we all learn a lot from basic discussion on a topic. That's something lacking in most forums and one of the things that makes SMC "da best". (That's Chicagoan for "really good"--not that I'm one of those folks...:p )

Things are already off to a good start, so keep posting your questions AND answers. The idea is to not only deal with the immediate, but also build a wealth of information that folks can find via the search feature over time. Thanks in advance for your contributions.
-----

First addition observation: Always work out your finishing regimen on scraps of the material from your project before you attempt the real thing! There is nothing worse than doing a bang-up job on your woodworking and then doing something you've either never done before in finishing or getting an unexpected reaction. DAMHIKT!!

Second additional observation: Finishing starts when you select the actual material for your project. Matching color, grain and texture is one of the single most important things that many woodworkers can improve their end-results with. It's something that sets the very best work apart from just the merely awesome. No matter what you use as your final finishing regimen...it cannot "fix" the characteristics of the underlying wood.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Mark Singer
04-26-2005, 1:37 PM
Jim,

You're already helping....I was applying the finish to the scraps after I liked it on the actual piece...This new method makes more sense...

Point 2 : selecting wood that all goes together and matching grain is truly important...all the finish really does is amplify the qualities of the wood...if they are poorly chosen , it looks worse ...this is where we should spend time...selecting and matching...very good advice! I need to spend more time

Tom Pritchard
04-26-2005, 1:45 PM
HA! I knew they would get the right person for the moderator! Do I get a point for my fortune telling? :D

Glad to have you watching this forum Jim! Your name comes up in more of my WW'ing conversations than you can imagine, and your demeanor and expertise will make you the perfect moderator for this forum. Thanks for agreeing to do it.

Jeff Sudmeier
04-26-2005, 2:18 PM
I think the topics posted for inspiration are great! The spur great discussions and impart great knowledge.

Dan Gill
04-26-2005, 2:56 PM
Thanks for taking this on, Jim. You're a real asset to the Creek. And your first two ideas are right on target. This will be a great forum for the finishing challenged like me.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-26-2005, 3:06 PM
Jim...thanks for taking this on! I think it's a combination of the people and the moderators to insure civil interaction that makes SMC! Again thanks!....try finishing a scrap first.......oops..

Alan Turner
04-26-2005, 3:52 PM
Jim
Thanks for taking on this task at the current moderator pay scale. You may needa second job to support your tool addiction since this one will barely put some groceries on the table.

Dave Malen
05-01-2005, 10:24 PM
I am constantly amazed at your energy. I'm sure this forum is in good hands
Best regards,
Dave

lou sansone
05-05-2005, 10:37 AM
hi jim

thanks for all that you do. I hope that this forum gets the exposure that the other ones do. Finishing is one of the biggest problems for any ww.

regards
lou

Ted Jay
05-01-2008, 9:43 PM
Ok...my arm was twisted (lightly...) and I volunteered to watch after this forum about finishing. It's my pleasure to help out SMC in this capacity. Please note that I'm not a finishing expert, but have tried to pay great attention to what folks incredibly more experienced say about the subject over time. Maybe someday I'll have the opportunity to apply their advice more often...
...... (snip)

Jim, I'm actually surprised you even have time for WoodWorking much less finishing. With a post count of over 28,700 post's.:eek::eek::eek:

I think you have mastered the art of time management. Have you been cloned....?:D

Ted
:rolleyes: