PDA

View Full Version : Need finishing assistance

Joe McMahon
12-20-2012, 9:49 AM
My Christmas gifts are almost ready. I have four daughters and each is getting a memento chest. I am at the top coat finishing stage and need some advice

Chest #1 is cherry. I have base coated it with shellac

Chest #2 is quilted maple, also base of shellac

Chest #3 QS white Oak. base, oil stain

Chest #4 Mahogany base, water based dye

For top coat I have General Finishes High Performance Polyurethane water based top coat
And
General Finishes Arm-R-Seal Oil & Polyurethane top coat.

Which should I use with what? Can I use one on all? Will water based work over oil?

My finishing area is my basement and while it is heated, it is not what I would call warm

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

John TenEyck
12-20-2012, 10:35 AM
I like both of those products - a lot. You could apply either over all of those chests; just make sure the stained one has dried at least 2 days before putting the Hi Perf. Poly over it or you risk having a poor bond. The other one that could give you problems is chest #4 unless you spray the Hi Perf. Poly for the first coat. If you try to brush it on it will have a tendency to redissolve some of the water soluble dye. Thinking about timing would favor using the Hi Perf. Poly because you could apply 3 cots in one day and be done. With the Arm-R-Seal you will be hard pressed to be done by Monday, although it would be beautiful on #1 and #4 I think.

You didn't mention what shellac you used. If it has a high wax content you could have bonding problems with the Hi Perf. Poly, although I never have. But you could eliminate that possibility by applying a coat of Sealcoat shellac over the shellac you already have. It is dewaxed and Hi Perf. Poly bonds very well with it. You can buy it in rattle cans, too, if you don't have spray equipment. You also could use it to shoot a coat on #4, to eliminate any problems with the WB dye bleeding back, and then proceed with the Hi Perf. Poly.

Good luck,

John

Joe McMahon
12-20-2012, 11:40 AM
John, I wrote General Finishes with my question this morning and that is exactly the same answer that I just got from them.

Thanks & Merry Christmas!

Joe

John TenEyck
12-20-2012, 3:26 PM
Yes, the folks at General Finishes are usually very helpful. I have even talked with their research chemist who was very helpful in answering some detailed questions on their UV stabilizer package. BTW, the Hi Perf. Poly has that UV package in it, so the color after finishing will stay that way a very long time. So if you use it on the cherry one it will not darken (at all, really) for years. I finished a cherry jewelry box with it about 4 years ago and the color outside and inside are still the same.

John