PDA

View Full Version : seen Doug Thompson the other day

Harry Robinette
12-19-2012, 7:50 PM
Went up to Doug's the other day, pick-up this 3/4 V and Lathe Master 20" handle to add to the growing collection of Thompson
tools. This is # 25 yes I am a tool junkie can you tell.
Also I wanted to take this burl off this tree but LOML said the people at Stan Hywet Manor ( the family that started Goodyear tire) wouldn't like that,we went to see the house man the wood work and carving in that place is to die for.No pictures in side so here's the burl.248433248435248434
The other picture is the Manor House.

Roger Chandler
12-19-2012, 7:56 PM
Harry....I have one of Doug's 3/4 U gouges.....thought I would use it a lot......turns out, I usually go back to my 5/8V....not sure why, but the 3/4" just seems like overkill most of the time........good luck!

Those are pretty nice diggs there in that middle pic.......nice burl.......I guess you can always dream! :D

Thomas Canfield
12-19-2012, 8:02 PM
I bought the 3/4" U at SWAT last summer. My 5/8" gouges could not get to side/bottom of a large bowl using a straight tool rest. A curved tool rest would have been cheaper, but that can be another purchase. It has not seen much use as I am trying to decide if I will maintain the original edge or go to the fingernail grind used on most of the other gouges. It sure is nice to have one "standard" grind used for 1/4" up to 5/8" and not reset the jig.

Timothy Mann
12-19-2012, 8:36 PM
I have wanted to buy one of those for a long time. Money is just to tight right now, congrats on your new tool. Love that burl.

Donny Lawson
12-19-2012, 10:16 PM
Congrats on the new tool. He does have some very nice tools.

Baxter Smith
12-19-2012, 10:43 PM
Went up to Doug's the other day, .....
Sorry Harry, but my first thought was "What else is new?";):) I have to say though that I think it would be pretty neat to try them all out!

paul vechart
12-19-2012, 10:54 PM
Harry...which type of bowl gouge do you use more of the "V" or the "U" type? That is one nice collection of tools you have there!

Paul

charlie knighton
12-20-2012, 7:58 AM
congratulations on new gouge, did they let you cut the burl????????? do not see many chimneys with 3 seperate flutes, sort of ole english

Pat Scott
12-20-2012, 9:00 AM
I also have Doug's 3/4" V-gouge with Lathe Master 20" handle. I use it ALL the time for roughing out. I have the wings swept back and will routinely take a 3/4" wide shaving. Only takes a few minutes to rough shape the outside of a bowl. I like the bigger 3/4" gouge for cutting through bark and the roughness from a chainsawn/bandsawn blank. The weighted handle and bigger tool don't bounce and beat me up as much as a 5/8". One of these days I'll buy his 3/4" U-gouge.

Dave Mueller
12-20-2012, 10:45 AM
I looked at the pictures before reading the message, and thought "Wow, Doug is doing pretty well if he lives in that house". Then I read the text...

Harry Robinette
12-20-2012, 5:17 PM
I use a V gouge for roughing, size of the piece determines size of gouge.Same thing goes for the U gouge but it is used for smoothing everything before using a scraper or just going to sand paper. The V gouge is made to dig in with it's smaller nose and and cut quickly as for the U it's flat nose doesn't dig in so it cuts smoother. This one is getting a work out check out the new thread 3 Sisters.

Steve Kubien
12-21-2012, 1:04 AM
I just won a 5/8" and handle combo on another site as part of a fundraiser. Doug engraved the handle, "Darth Steve"

I really like Doug.