PDA

View Full Version : Cremation Urn?

Peter Blair
12-19-2012, 7:37 PM
Here's a couple of shots of my first Urn.

Of course it could be a vase with a finial. The finial screws onto the vase with sections of black plastic pipe fittings.

It's spalted Cherry dyed with Transtint dye with a dyed black finial the finial was dyed with black leather dye from Tandy.

This is my first Urn and the first time I turned a hollow form from a chunk of log pith and all.
This piece is about 14" tall and and 4 1/2" wide at the widest.

Thanks for looking, C & C as always please.

Roger Chandler
12-19-2012, 7:58 PM
Looks good........is the wood stable? I ask because you mentioned the pith still being in the form.........I hope it is, because for a burial urn, that would be important. Nice job on the color and the decorative finial.

Peter Blair
12-19-2012, 8:06 PM
Hey Roger. Sure hope it's stable. I have had it in my shop for over 20 years and it had no checks or cracks.

Roger Chandler
12-19-2012, 8:09 PM
Hey Roger. Sure hope it's stable. I have had it in my shop for over 20 years and it had no checks or cracks.

I think you are pretty safe if it is 20 years and no cracks........just checking! :D;)

Jamie Donaldson
12-19-2012, 8:10 PM
Excellent job Peter, and the blue shading really adds dignity to the finished work. I would have left off the onion shape in the finial, as without it the finial elements are well balanced with the designs in the restof the top.

Harry Robinette
12-19-2012, 8:25 PM
Look-N-Good, You did a really nice job on this one. Love the color and the shape.

Bernie Weishapl
12-19-2012, 10:51 PM
That is a nice looking piece. Love the color and form is great.

Ron Rutter
12-20-2012, 1:21 AM
Peter. What is the volume of the urn. From what I have heard they should be at least 160 cubic inches.
That would be equal to 4x4x10 inside.
Ron.

Peter Blair
12-20-2012, 9:01 AM
HI Ron. I haven't measured the volume but will do IF I decide to try to market this piece.
Research on the Internet one can find Cremation Urns between 100 and 200+ cubic inches as well as a lot of smaller ones for pets.

Peter Blair
12-20-2012, 9:02 AM
Thanks for the comments Jamie. I really appreciate your suggestion and will be sure to make a more balanced finial next time.

Richard Jones
12-20-2012, 9:57 AM
Peter,

Very nice. How was the ABS to incorporate? I am riding the fence on using plastic and hand chasing. The fittings have less of a learning curve and it's not like they will be seen.............:eek: Very pretty work, like the form. I have read that the rule of thumb is 1 c.i. per pound of live weight, but I'm not sure how that equates in reality.

Thanks for sharing.

Peter Blair
12-20-2012, 10:42 AM
Hi Richard. The ABS was a breeze. Inside the lid and the top of the vessel are nearly black and as a result the ABS just appears to be part of the overall piece.