PDA

View Full Version : Cleanin the optics?

Jay Steel
12-19-2012, 7:07 PM
I've done a search and can't find a little more specific information that I'm looking for. Maybe your thoughts? I have an Accuris PowerSharp 16 I bought new several years ago, rated at 30W. I seldom use the machine, only as a hobby. It may sit for weeks, or months, on end before I use it.

The instructions say cleaning window mirror, lens 2, 3, and lens? DAILY. Of course there are weekly, monthly and quarterly cleanings suggested as well.
I HATE to clean the optics, because I once dropped a lens and it was an expensive $175.00 drop, not to mention 6 weeks wait because SW was out of stock of the particular lens, not to mention the time doing all the maintenance takes.
In the past, I did observer the requirements of daily cleaning even if I only cut a few things, and of course, if I wasn't going to use the laser for awhile, I'd do the weekly, monthly and quarterly cleaning before I shut the machine down for the next use.

So here's the question. This week I cut 5 pieces of cardboard and four pieces of Elmers foam board, vector cutting large letters for crafts, spaced out over a five day period. Do I really need to do the daily cleaning, even though the machine ran perhaps as little as 15 minutes a day every day for 5 days. Maybe an a little over an hour total, and then clean the entire machines optics, which I do anyway, before the next use?
I do blow out the machine after every cut with my compressor Maybe not necessary, but I do it anyway. I have an excellent exhaust and air assist. Does daily cleaning mean 8 hours? Or does the residue stick to the lens and should I do the daily cleaning regardless of such limited use?

Any other comments on maintenance of using my machine with such limited use would be appreciated as well. Thanks, Jay

Rich Harman
12-19-2012, 7:16 PM
I clean my mirrors and lens on an as-needed basis. If I ran it eight hours a day that could mean a daily cleaning but probably not. Depends on the material. If I were cutting lots of MDF it would be cleaned more often than if cutting acrylic.

To check the last mirror and lens I will put a piece of white paper under the nozzle and look into the last mirror while shining a light on the paper. It is easy to tell that way if there is any haze on the lens or mirror.

Dan Hintz
12-19-2012, 8:04 PM
I actually look at my lenses... if they're dirty, I clean them. If clean, I don't waste my time.

Joe Pelonio
12-19-2012, 8:19 PM
Different materials generate more residue than others, cardboard is actually pretty bas with the smoke. Still, I would not clean for at least 8 hours cutting unless I saw residue upon inspection. If you remove to clean, always work over a soft cloth or even mouse pad.

Rich Harman
12-19-2012, 9:15 PM
I actually look at my lenses...

I do too, I just don't remove it from it's holder. It would probably take about a minute to remove it and look at it versus only a few seconds using the method I described above.

Roger Leiva
12-19-2012, 9:56 PM
As standard the machine clean every weekend. I check your mirrors and lens with a lamp to look for debris. For Epilog Helix is not necessary to remove the lens for cleaning. Just a cotton swab moistened with "multi-coated filter and lens cleaner", then another dry and ready to cut or burn.
Roger Leiva (Helix 24, 60 watt, Costa Rica)

Mike Null
12-20-2012, 10:04 AM
I remove my lens for inspection frequently. A visual will give me the clue as to whether the rest of the machine needs cleaning. But optics and bearing/tracks are more critical so frequent inspection and cleaning is a must.

David Fairfield
12-20-2012, 11:12 AM
I also put a sheet of cardboard or something underneath the lens when I am taking it out, so it doesn't fall onto the grid, and I don't have to retrieve the screw from underneath the grid.

Note on the Epilog, the focus lens/mirror unit is held to the belt in with two set screws. The lower one is less easy to access, and basically pain to get in and out without dropping it where it can possibly fall under the vector grid or scratch the lens. I found using only the upper set screw is enough to firmly attach and hold the focus lens unit in alignment, as it has a slot / rail. No difference in cut/engrave quality. Since I stopped using the lower screw, I've been more diligent about cleaning the lens, its simpler to take out and put back.

Dave

Mary Geitz
12-20-2012, 7:45 PM
I'm so glad this thread came up. I had my first experience with major machine maintenance and I have a question. I do a lot of work with paper, and I was engraving the top coating off a specialty paper at 60% power and 90% speed and barely making a dent. I noticed a loss of power over the previous few months so I figured it was time for a new tube. I called Epilog and they gave me instructions on testing with the tape on the target. It was barely making a mark, so off with the tube. I keep a pristine machine and clean everything frequently. But I had never taken the lenses out of the holder. So, off they came and low and behold both pieces had black spots that would not come off. They really looked horrid. So I ordered a new lens and mirror (the other mirrors were okay), and unpacked the old tube and put it back on when the new lens and mirror arrived. There was no difference in the engraving quality. When the new tube arrived everything worked fine. Now, here's my blonde moment: I failed the common sense test. When the new tube was in I realized that the spark from the laser was missing with the old tube. The new one is sparking away, and I've had to readjust my settings downward.

I feel kind of like a dork that in four years I never took the lens and mirror out and inspected them. They always looked clean with regular maintenance but the Epilog dude said they probably had been like that for a while. So how often should the lens and mirrors be actually disassembled and checked? If you remove the main mirror and lens do you have to do any sort of realignment?

BTW, the customer service at Epilog was outstanding and he was quite patient with me. The realignment was a beotch and took about an hour and a half. Thank God all of this happened before the Christmas rush and I was able to fill all of my orders in time.

Dan Hintz
12-21-2012, 7:24 AM
I don't know about the Epilogs, but my main lens mount is three thumbscrews... it's ultra simple to check, so I do it once before I begin work for the day, then any time during the day I think it might be getting dirty due to whatever I'm working on. Of course, a good dust collection system and a properly running air shield for the optics helps reduce that kind fo work to a bare minimum.