PDA

View Full Version : Garage Bench - Semi Temporary

Dale Murray
12-19-2012, 4:54 PM
Just bought a house, do not yet have a decent work bench nor woodworking bench.

I have a 2.25"x30"x120" solid maple butcher block top I intend to use as my woodworking bench once I have time to build a base for it, right now renovation is a higher priority. I am considering building a temporary garage bench and tossing my laminate on top. I say temporary because I want to build proper cabinets for my garage - I am thinking something open faced and 2x4 construction as a temporary solution.

My walls are poured concrete for the first 36" and obviously a concrete floor.

My thought:
- Screw a 120" 2x6 directly to the concrete.
- Screw a 27" 2x6 directly to the concrete in the corner where they meet.
- Mount joist hangers on the 120" 2x6 to hold 27" 2x4s out from the wall on 2' centers.
- I would install legs every 4'.
- The 2x4s from the wall would meet a 120" 2x4 along the face thus creating a horizontal frame.
- Set my maple top on there for now, no fasteners. Maybe a lip around the frame to capture it.

I need something stout for hand planing and other work. I could use this to build the base for a woodworking bench and transfer my top to it. I would think this stable enough since the supporting structure is tied to the corner of a concrete wall. The top is about 150-200lbs.

Has anybody here done anything similar?
If so, photos or drawings?
Any other thoughts?

Myk Rian
12-19-2012, 5:32 PM
I used 2 2x6 legs. framed them with 2x6s, and screwed a 2x4 to the wall. An old fire rated door is the top, screwed to all the other wood.
Looks good, and is very sturdy. It does not move in any direction. A few stringers, and a shelf was fitted under it.
I meant it to be temporary, (as are you) but it works so well, I figure what the heck. I have no plans to replace it.

EDIT: To add picture.

Jamie Buxton
12-19-2012, 5:38 PM
Remember that your garage floor is not horizontal, but rather sloped down toward the door. Install the long 2x6 horizontal, and use longer legs at the door end of the bench.

Myk Rian
12-19-2012, 5:46 PM
Remember that your garage floor is not horizontal, but rather sloped down toward the door. Install the long 2x6 horizontal, and use longer legs at the door end of the bench.
:confused::confused:
Just use a level, and cut lengths accordingly.

Jim Neeley
12-19-2012, 5:57 PM

+1 on sloped but I recommend checking for direction of slope, as mine slopes toward each of the two floor drains rather than the door.

Dale Murray
12-21-2012, 11:31 PM
My garage does not have a floor drain, does that mean I cannot make a bench in there?

Yes, I am kidding.

I figured it was a very safe idea but you never know. I figured I would toss it up to people with more knowledge and experience than me