PDA

View Full Version : Stones for sharpening profiled tools. . .

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
12-19-2012, 4:33 PM
I've been looking to pick up some more profiled tools; some incannel gouges, some molding planes, and more carving tools are on the shorter list. I've got some already, and there's always scratch stocks and curved spokeshaves and whatever else.

Part of why I've hesitated getting more, particularly when I see a nice vintage gouge for sale is the lack of a great way to sharpen these edges when stropping has done as much as it can. Certainly keeping these perfect or putting the final edge on with a strop helps keep from having to hit the stones, but I've got already couple of tools that really need to be hit a bit with a stone or something because they're past stropping.

I've been using papers on whatever's handy, but I'd like to get something a little more long lasting.

Any recommendations? What's the best deal for the money? Should I just go with whatever's cheap at Woodcraft, or do folks think the slightly more of something like the Chris Pye sets are worth it? Should I look at something like the Spyderco slipstones?

I realize a big part of this is going to be driven by what size tools I want to sharpen; right now I have no idea what direction that's going to go. Perhaps investing in the whole set of the Norton roll is the way to go.

I have no idea where I'm headed with this, I guess, and just looking for folks thoughts on the subject.

David Weaver
12-19-2012, 4:46 PM
For the flat stones, oilstones or spydercos. For the profiled stones, oilstone slips, or shaped hardwood with fine abrasive stuff on it. Whatever you can use often.

And a piece or two of clean bare leather to strop.

You might want to ask in the carver's forum, since we have a few resident professional carvers. They might use something that's faster.