PDA

View Full Version : Bowl gouge handle length

Mike Cruz
12-19-2012, 2:23 PM
Hey all. I have a handle to make for the Thompon's Bowl Gouge that I got recently. I'd like to pick your brains...

What length and diameter (diameter of where you hold, not necessarily anywhere else) do you prefer your bowl gouge handle to be and why? Meaning why do you like it that length... For example, you might like it long for control up against your body, or short so it isn't like you are weilding around a tree trunk.

And if your bowl gouge handle is 16" long, but you think that is too short or too long, what length would you make it next time?

The one I have now is 17 1/2" long and 1 1/2" thick. I was thinking of just doing my next one the same, but thought I'd get ya'll's input before I make it so I don't end up sayin', "shoot, I wish I had known that before..."

Thanks!

Roger Chandler
12-19-2012, 2:33 PM
Mike,

The last Thompson I purchased [at the Va. symposium] I also got one of his customized [with my name engraved] 20" handles. The gouge is a 5/8 V.......that being said, for a 1/2 or 3/8, I would want a shorter one. I think when you do big roughouts like you guys seem to do with some regularity, that you want to go a little longer for control........

Now as far as width........what you should do is make it comfortable for your grip.......that will vary from individual to individual depending on the size of their hands......larger hands will generally like a larger diameter grip. Do what is comfortable for you........

Now one caveat.........tool storage.......depending on how you store your turning gouges......[I keep mine in a drawer, so that limits the length where I can put the gouge away.] If you have yours on a wall, it seems like length is no issue

Justin Stephen
12-19-2012, 2:58 PM
I have my Thompsons mounted in Trent Bosch handles. My 5/8" V is in a 20" handle and the 1/2" V is in a 16" handle. I am pretty happy with both choices. The purpose of the 5/8" gouge was supposed to be for roughing but, truthfully, I find myself using the 1/2" for almost everything lately.

Prashun Patel
12-19-2012, 3:16 PM
What size gouge?

My 5/8" is about 20". I like it big and hefty for roughing.

The only reason I would entertain a shorter handle is if I were doing smaller, more enclosed forms that require funky approach angles; a long handle here can get in the way.

However, for most of the open bowl work I do - which it seems is a lot of what you do to - I say the bigger the better - as long as your right hand and right elbow feel comfortable.

Chris Studley
12-19-2012, 3:20 PM
I have the 5/8V Myself, I am at about 16" ish, and similar diameter. The nice thing about diameter is that you can put you hand on the handle to size it while still mounted. What wood you select and finish, also play a role in your comfort. as well as balance. I chose Jatoba for mine, It has a pleasant heft to it and I finished it w/ simple paste wax. Obviously you could weight it so the wood's density isn't the only factor regarding heft.

Congrat on the new gouge. enjoy.

Reed Gray
12-19-2012, 5:36 PM
I had to go measure. I don't think I measure when I select a blank for a handle, just pick a piece that looks right and turn. I have rather over sized paws, and prefer larger diameters. Glazer handles are too small for me. My wood handles are about 1 1/2 inch diameter by 16 to 18 long for my larger scrapers and gouges. Just a straight cylinder, no bumps or humps any where. Most of the time, right hand is near the ferrule, and the end of the handle is under my forearm. I do hold the tools more lever when cutting rather than dropping the handle. I use curved rests for bowls so I don't have to hand out very far.

robo hippy

Tim Rinehart
12-19-2012, 6:06 PM
Mike, length of handle is somewhat arbitrary once your in ballpark of 16-18 inches or so. Anatoly Tsiris has all his handles octagon shaped, and probably about as big diam as Reed was talking. He noticed me looking at them, smiled and said it gives a better grip for him, and won't roll off his bench! Something worth considering, makes the handle even easier to make.

Mike Cruz
12-19-2012, 6:08 PM
This is just what I wanted to hear. Certainly want to hear more, but you guys are hitting the nail on the head.

Prashun, yeah, sorry, 5/8".

Bernie Weishapl
12-19-2012, 6:20 PM
My big bowl gouge 5/8" for roughing is about 18" to 20". I also turn my handles and then keep gripping them with my hand till it feels right. My 3/8" and 1/2" handles I turned them about 16". Again turn till it feels right.

Rick Markham
12-19-2012, 6:27 PM
Mike, I've got 3 of Doug's 20" handles, and 2 16" DT handles. My big bowl gouges are in the 20" handles, the 3/8" 16" has a spindle gouge in it, and the other 16" is the 3/4" Lathe Master, with Doug's 1 1/4" SRG in it. Originally I was roughing out with my bowl gouges in the long handles, but now I largely use my SRG in the 16" handle. Honestly if I had to do it all over I probably would have gone with all 16" handles. Now the long handles aren't a hindrance really in anyway for me, and I'm sure in some instances it's an adavantage. But the added length/ weight doesn't seem to be much of an advantage to me. The ease of manipulating/holding the shorter length seems to outweigh any lack in leverage etc.

Harry Robinette
12-19-2012, 7:34 PM
I have my 3/4 U and V Thompson in 20" handles. My 5/8"U and V, 1/2" U and V are in 16" Thompson handles. I have nerve problems in my thumbs and Doug's handles take the pressure off of them, also they don't roll off the lathe. The other thing is you can adjust the weight by removing shot from the end.

Robert Henrickson
12-19-2012, 7:43 PM
I have relatively small hands but prefer handle diameters that are larger than most sold, whether as part of the tool or separately. Length is often good, and since I have a Jet 1642 I can move the headstock and turn off the end -- complete freedom for the tool handle.

Michael Stafford
12-19-2012, 8:12 PM
I saw these recommendations for tool reach for bowl gouges over the tool rest and handle length in an article by Dale Nish.

Handle length should be related to the amount of recommended reach over the tool rest for a particular tool . The following was the recommended reach over the tool rest for bowl gouges: 1/4"- 1 1/2" overhang; 3/8"- 2 1/2" over the tool rest; 1/2"- 3 1/2" over the tool rest; and 5/8"- 4" over the tool rest. Note: the flute size is listed first and it is assumed the shaft diameter is 1/8" more.

The handle length should be approximately 5 times the recommended maximum reach over the tool rest. So for a 1/4" bowl gouge the handle should be at least 7 1/2" long and for a 5/8" bowl gouge the handle should be at least 20" long. Longer handles provide more leverage.

Handle diameter and shape is a matter of personal preference.

Of course if you have sufficient turning muscle you may be able to use shorter handles. :D I have more than ample turning muscle so I don't use a long handle...:p

Mike Cruz
12-19-2012, 9:53 PM
Very interesting in that while there is a majority swinging towards 18-20" handles for a 5/8" bowl gouge, it certainly isn't unanimous.

Michael, thanks for that info. At least there is some support for science behind that reasoning...

Doug Herzberg
12-20-2012, 7:36 AM
Mike, my handles are 16-20" as well. The main factor for me is the amount of room behind the lathe. Beyond that, it depends on available stock. So far, I've used ash and Osage Orange.

As for diameter, I, too, have big paws. I go by feel as I'm turning the handle with a thick spot for each hand. I store them handle down in pvc pipes and they generally don't fit a 1-1/2" but do fit a 2" pipe. I think the large diameter results in less fatigue and a better grip, but it's a personal thing.

Gary Sichmeller
12-20-2012, 8:36 AM
As for length of the handle, I find it seems to work best for me if it is long enough to tuck under my forearm short of the elbow for the larger bowl gouges. That tends to be in the range of 16". Diameter is subject to whatever you are comfortable with.
I have the Thompson 20" handle for my 5/8" gouge and it is a bit to long for my tastes.

Kyle Iwamoto
12-20-2012, 12:40 PM
I like long handles also, and have hands on the bigger side, so thicker is good for me. I just wanted to add that in the event that you have -enough- gouges, I have a 1/2 and 5/8 Thompsons that are in short 12" long, fat handles. These I use for the light cuts and inside of the bowl, where the long handles are a PITA. Very nimble and easy to handle.

BTW I don't think anyone can have -enough- gouges.....

Tony De Masi
12-20-2012, 3:07 PM
Just big enough in diameter and just long enough in length.

Roger Chandler
12-20-2012, 3:11 PM
just big enough in diameter and just long enough in length.

Tony......:D !

Mike Cruz
12-20-2012, 3:14 PM
Just sarcastic enough, just vague enough...;)

mark ravensdale
12-20-2012, 9:01 PM
Not sure of the sizes involved but the best wooden handle I have found to date was/is on a 5/8 crown pro-pm bowl gouge, just a lovely handle (don't rate the gouge very much but the handles great!)

Thomas Canfield
12-21-2012, 8:36 PM
I normally like a longer handle for my Powermatic 3520, but find that sometimes a short handle is very handy. I "made" a 1/4" bowl gouge (bowl grind) out of a 1/4" Thompson detail gouge and put a 8" handle on it to use on a mini lathe doing small 2"+/- bowls and needing to lower the handle to get to bowl bottom. I need to make a short handle 3/8" bowl gouge for use on mini lathe.

Anthony Cayll
12-24-2012, 3:42 PM
I second that on the Crown Pro-PM handle. I think that's the most comfortable handle out there.

Faust M. Ruggiero
12-24-2012, 4:15 PM
Lots of opinions here so may as well read another. I believe the handle length depends on how you hold the tool and also what the handle is made from. My longest Onewat Mastercut handle is only 16" and it is more than long enough for a 5/8" gouge. However, that is a heavy handle with a flexible coating that absorbed a ton of shock. I have a wooden handle on my Woodcut 16mm gouge. This tool has a solid bar with a replaceable tip. That makes the cutting end quite heavy. Because the handle is wood I made it 20". I use it by holding the tool a few inches back of the ferrule and resting my forearm on the handle. If you've ever been to Bill Grumbine's shop you will see a special Doug Thompson gouge with a handle that appears to be a yard long. It's all about how the tool feels good to you. Personally, the longer the handle, the more difficult it is to properly swing it when sharpening it.
faust

Mike Cruz
12-24-2012, 5:30 PM
Anthony and Faust, thank you both (and everyone else, too!) for your input. It looks like it really boils down to personal preference, size of the user, style of the user, and what you are using the gouge for. Which means anything from 15-36" for a 5/8" bowl gouge! :D Though it seems the most common is 18" with a swing 2" in each direction depending on the person. I have a feeling that I might make a couple, ranging from 16-20" and see what will fit my 5/8" Thompson the best. I already have a 5/8" Thompson with a 17 1/2" handle that I made for it. So, my next might just be the 20". Heck, I can always cut it down...:rolleyes: