PDA

View Full Version : Steady rests...

Jeffrey J Smith
12-18-2012, 5:07 PM
Since there are many here turning hollow forms, big and small, thought I'd pose a question to the group. I hate being long winded, but the question has a few parts...

I'm just getting into turning hollow forms and as I get into larger pieces, recognize the need for a steady rest to help stabilize the form. I've looked into most all the dedicated options out there for full-size lathes (for a Robust AB25) and finding more choices than I had thought.

The dedicated rests made by Robust are nicely made, but pretty typical in form, and, for a 25" lathe, imposing pieces of hardware. They would seem to provide the ultimate in safety and support. They're also relatively expensive. I've seen plans to built a traditional hoop style from everything from steel to plywood, and that's very doable. I like making tools and jigs when I've got the time (rarely).

JT Turning Tools has just started selling their SmartSteady that is different (http://jtturningtools.com/node/38 - scroll down a ways to find it), and has the appeal of not interferring at all with a laser. It is two columns - not unlike the OneWay Bowl Steady - mounted to a common clamping block with two wheel assemblies on one column and one on the other. It looks like an interesting option, but it is new on the market. It has the nice feature of being convertible to a bowl steady when needed. Cost is about the same as a dedicated rest.

It got me thinking; I've been contemplating buying a OneWay bowl steady for a while now - wouldn't it be possible to use two of them from opposite sides and achieve the same thing? I asked Kevin at OneWay if it was feasible, and while not outright endorsing the idea, he indicated that "it is very common for people to use two of our steadies together as you suggest." The cost would be less than half of either option above.

Any thoughts? I've not really scrutinized the OneWay Bowl Steady in person, but it certainly looks strong enough to handle the load.

Thanks,

Jeff

Roger Chandler
12-18-2012, 5:51 PM
Jeff......you are correct, that one can use two of the oneway steady rests and achieve the same thing.......I saw this being done once, but have no pics of it.........there might be a pic somewhere in the archives of smc.....not sure, but I do remember seeing somebody do this and it works well and does not interfere with a laser rig.

A three arm steady will do the same thing, and one could make a 4 arm steady and have it adjustable where the arm could be moved lower or higher.........not hard to do.

Steve Schlumpf
12-18-2012, 6:04 PM
Jeff - how big/heavy do you plan on turning? I may catch some heat with this but I find that a 'C' style steady works great because all you are trying to do is support some of the weight so the tenon doesn't tear out of the chuck. Check it out here: Steady (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?184993-Maple-Rough-Out&highlight=) I have turned a number of larger forms with this simple steady and it works. Can't beat the price... some T-track, roller blade wheels and some 2/4 cut-offs!

Jeffrey J Smith
12-18-2012, 6:29 PM
Steve: How big and heavy do I plan on turning? Been turning for about 5 years now, 4 of them seriously, and from my experience, things just seem to get bigger and heavier as I go along. Generally, I'm anticipating that most will fall into the 12"L or under range; the occasional monster will probably need to be addressed with more capable equipment. I'm guessing that I'll eventually build a full size steady just for bigger stuff, and use this solution for the day-to-day. I was looking at Peter Blair's C-steady in a post a little further down - great design, easy to build and looks sturdy enough to handle a load. –Jeff

Steve Schlumpf
12-18-2012, 7:06 PM
Jeff - I am limited by the length of the bed on my lathe more than anything else - but have been able to turn some wood that weighed close to 100 lbs wet. The steady does nothing more than support that weight and, in my opinion, that is all you really need to concern your self with. I saw Peter's steady and he did a really nice job on constructing it. Have to ask though... what is the purpose of the upper wheels... on any steady rest?

Clint Baxter
12-18-2012, 10:36 PM
Jeff - I am limited by the length of the bed on my lathe more than anything else - but have been able to turn some wood that weighed close to 100 lbs wet. The steady does nothing more than support that weight and, in my opinion, that is all you really need to concern your self with. I saw Peter's steady and he did a really nice job on constructing it. Have to ask though... what is the purpose of the upper wheels... on any steady rest?

My thought is that the upper wheels are there to prevent the form from climbing up while cutting, or in the event of a catch.