PDA

View Full Version : Honda Odyssey mini-van power window.....slow to raise....

Dennis Peacock
12-18-2012, 2:47 PM
Why is my drivers side power window so slow to raise? It will lower just fine. When it gets cold outside, I have to manually help the window raise....slowly. In the summer, the window raises better, but still a bit slow. 2005 model. Any ideas?

Joe Angrisani
12-18-2012, 3:39 PM
Sounds like the early stages of the window regulator failing. There's a slim possibility that it's just some binding in the weatherstripping groove, but I doubt it. Try lubricating the weatherstripping groove with spray silicone. But don't be surprised when you need to drop some money on the regulator.

Dick Adair
12-18-2012, 3:45 PM
I have the same problem with my Chrysler LXI van. Same door. I had the window motor asm repalced with an aftermarket part. That is when my problem started. I assumed it was a cheaper part. (Can you say China?)

Jeff Monson
12-18-2012, 4:00 PM
I'd 2nd Joe's advice, try lubing the run channel with silicone spray, remember the run channel goes all the way to the bottom of the door, so lube the lower corners well to get the lower portion of the run channel lubed. This should help alot, as Honda's are good for this, also make sure the run channel has not bunched up, or folded over in any areas as this will cause binding also.

Kevin Bourque
12-18-2012, 9:46 PM
Had the same problem with my BMW a few years back. I had to pull the darn window up so often I took the door panel off to see if it was binding somewhere. Turned out it needed a new motor. I don't even want to tell you how much it cost.:(

Dennis Peacock
12-19-2012, 10:17 AM
Well....I guess we will suffer with it until next year sometime. I don't mind working on it, but I always seem to bust those clips that hold the door panel on. :mad:

Jim Matthews
12-19-2012, 10:07 PM
I've removed the door panel on a Gen II (1999-2004), it's not terribly difficult.
I found that lubricating the channel mentioned above worked well in warmer months.

The consensus among the Ody club is that lubrication should be sufficient.
If the run channel is deflected, the motor won't travel in a linear fashion,
and will attempt to push the window off the track.

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/

Jason Roehl
12-20-2012, 8:15 AM
Personally, Dennis, I'd take my chances on busting a few clips, especially if a little lube doesn't really improve it much. Those regulators always fail right before or during a major weather event. BTDT! I actually just replaced a regulator for a friend on her Grand Prix this summer, except we had to order the part. Her window wouldn't stay up all the way, so of course while the part was in transit, we got several rain showers--about the only rain we got all summer. I think Murphy is at least part owner of all car window manufacturers.

Jim Matthews
12-20-2012, 9:13 AM
I think Murphy is at least part owner of all car window manufacturers.

Auto upholstery and side mirrors, actually.
If I'm not mistaken, one of his last patents was for cup holders in cars.