PDA

View Full Version : New/old lathe feature

Reed Gray
12-18-2012, 1:07 PM
From Alan Zenreich over at the AAW forum, regarding a demo where the turner started a bowl blank up without checking the speed first, which was at 3,000 rpm: "The automatic bark removal feature".

That is a good one!

robo hippy

Jamie Donaldson
12-18-2012, 1:19 PM
...followed by the turner knock-down feature, then the audience diving for cover feature,..............

Bob Bergstrom
12-18-2012, 3:06 PM
Followed by "end of turner's demo feature". Room empty.

David Reed
12-18-2012, 3:34 PM
I (nearly)always check speed before start up but forgot once with a rough blank. I was on the tailstock end of the lathe and could not safely get to the switch on the headstock. Soon, the problem was solved as the piece left the immediate area. Now my 'speed check' is at 100%, not 99%. Should also look for a remote switch.

Steve Schlumpf
12-18-2012, 4:50 PM
Reminds me of my first bowl demo at my turning club! It was on an old Rockwell lathe that had a reeves drive. The handle looked to be in a slow position but never thought about the belt position! I turned the lathe on and it hit warp factor 2 in about 3 seconds! I immediately shut the lathe down and yelled out "Now let that be a lesson to you! ALWAYS check the lathe speed before you start turning! Now back to our regularly scheduled demo!"

Needless to say... it scared the heck out of me!