PDA

View Full Version : Old Sears Craftmen Router table --- insert piece?

Dan Carroll
12-18-2012, 9:45 AM
I was given an old sears craftsmen router table. It has afence. My question is what is the part called and where can it be obtained thatfits into the 2 inch hole that the router bits comes up in? It looks like somekind of plate similar to a zero clearance table saw plate should go there tokeep the work level when it is being fed through the table. I have used arouter a few times free hand but never in a table before and I have very littleknowledge (okay none) about the tool. Any advice on how to use it and use itsafely would be helpful. I spend most of my time over in the hand tool world. Thanks:)

Don Jarvie
12-19-2012, 2:04 PM
Can you post a picture or model no? I have one in my cellar collecting dust.

Dan Carroll
12-19-2012, 5:57 PM
I will see what I can do --

Dan Carroll
12-19-2012, 7:17 PM
I will see what I can do -- Here goes....248430

Dan Carroll
12-19-2012, 7:20 PM
The model number is 925444 I believe. ANy info would be great. Thanks

Bruce Page
12-19-2012, 9:10 PM
Dan, I had the exact same table years ago. They came with 2 or 3 red plastic inserts. If Sears doesn’t have them I doubt that you’ll have much luck finding replacements. For most routing including edge routing or blind routing you can use it as is, just be aware that a sharp board edge could catch on the hole edge as you are feeding it past the bit. I would never use it for routing small pieces.
In all honesty, mine wasn’t very good, I could never get the fences to sit square to the table. I was happy when I sold it at a yard sale.

Don Jarvie
12-20-2012, 1:16 PM
Dan, pm sent

Mike Cozad
12-20-2012, 7:59 PM
I used mine without the inserts for 15 years because they were bowed and would catch my workpiece. Never had a problem but was careful to keep sharp edges from catching the lip of the hole. You could chamfer the hole to avoid this, but I never did.