PDA

View Full Version : Pen Kits

Jason Christenson
12-18-2012, 9:25 AM
It's been a couple of years since I've turned anything, even longer since I've visited the creek. I've been thinking about getting back into some pen turning at least and I'm wondering, is Craft Supply still the place to get pen kits? Have any new vendors popped up in the last couple of years?

Any input is appreciated.

Jason

Scott Hackler
12-18-2012, 10:34 AM
Penn State Industries is where I bought the last kits. They have a lot larger selection

Roger Chandler
12-18-2012, 11:18 AM
http://www.woodturningz.com/Pen_Kits.aspx

They sell PSI kits at reduced prices........have good sales, and with the 3 orders I have gotten from them to date, the customer service has been stellar!

Jeff Belany
12-18-2012, 11:49 AM
Arizona Silhouettes (now in PA), Bear Tooth Hardwoods, Smitty's, Exotic Blanks -- All great suppliers on price, quality and service. Check the Classifieds at IAP.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

allen thunem
12-18-2012, 12:02 PM
arizona silhouettes now in pa????????did they move?

Thom Sturgill
12-18-2012, 12:04 PM
Also BereaHardWoods.com, dayacom.com.tw (tiawan), Kallenshaan Woods for Inlay pen kits, All three advertise in the American Woodturner. Oh yes, Woodcraft and Packard both sell kits as does Klingspor's. There may be others out there, but I think that we've about covered it.

Peter Elliott
12-18-2012, 12:55 PM
I have ordered from all that are listed. But I have a big gripe with Penn State Ind. It takes them SOOOOOOO long to ship. My last order (12/11) sat in que for 5 days... Last 3 orders range from 3-5 days leaving the warehouse. It wouldn't be a big deal but most of the time I need the stuff fairly soon. Most companies ship by the next day and I expect normal transit times. No more PSI for me.

Peter Elliott
12-18-2012, 12:56 PM
arizona silhouettes now in pa????????did they move?

3430 Progress Drive, Suite C, Bensalem, PA 19020
Business hours: Monday - Friday 9:00AM to 5:00PM
Closed on Saturday and Sunday
267-332-0007 Eastern Standard Time

Noah Barfield
12-18-2012, 1:35 PM
I agree with Peter about Penn State. Also, I have found Berea's customer service to be absolutely horrible. I order all of my pens now from Craft Supplies (the artisan line of pen kits are superb).

Woodturningz and Arizona Silhouette are both small re-sellers who offer excellent prices and outstanding customer service!

Noah

Jim Burr
12-18-2012, 2:35 PM
PSI is the worst place to get pen kits from...ask a pen forum. Berea is fantastic...I spent 30min on the phone with Joe last week and he personally boxed my order and said "it's in the mail" CSUSA is always stellar. Barry Gross bought AS a few months ago. Service seems good. IMHO...Woodturningz kits are poorly made. Having to replace 12 of them, it's a trend. After over 1800 pens, it's good advise.

Jeff Belany
12-18-2012, 4:30 PM
"arizona silhouettes now in pa????????did they move?"

Bill sold out to Barry Gross. I think the business is in good hands.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin