PDA

View Full Version : Help with communication to each machine!!

Marc Nicoloudis
12-18-2012, 12:17 AM
Hello everyone,
I have been learning both Vectric Aspire for my CNC router as well as Corel for my laser. I am now at the point of needing a faster computer to keep up with all of the software demands. Because I am traveling alot, I am going to purchase a laptop for my needs. My question is, because the laser will only communicate with a pc card-parallel adaptor, I am afraid that the new laptop without those same old school ports will not allow me to communicate with the laser. Because I am still learning, I often sit connected to the laser so I can make adjustments as needed with each file. If I am now designing on the new laptop away from home, I am afraid I will have a bunch of file transferring from the new computer to the old because the new laptop can't communicate with the "Old Laser". I own an Accuris Powersharp laser if that helps. Any ideas?
Thanks, Marc

Dan Hintz
12-18-2012, 7:30 AM
A NAS comes to mind... set it up to be wireless. Edit the file on one machine, it's immediately available on the one controlling the laser.

Marc Nicoloudis
12-18-2012, 11:45 PM
Ok,
Did a bit of research on these. Found an old one with a parallel port. I assume I would transfer the file to the NAS and then it would load to the laser? I wish there was another way to connect to the Accuris. I tried the usb to parallel adapter with no success-Marc

Steven Cox
12-19-2012, 7:44 PM
I had a similar problem with an old Mimaki CG-50 plotter that I wanted to use from my Laptop. The USB style parallel didn't work but then a friend lent me a Port ExpressCard Laptop Parallel Adapter to try and it worked. Bear in mind here that the Mimaki is over 20 years old and I'm able to use it with Corel Draw and SignCut X2. I'm now looking at buying one and found this on Amazon....

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-ExpressCard-Parallel-Adapter-EC1PECPS/dp/B001Q7X0W6

I'm not familiar with a Accuris Powersharp laser but it might work for you.