PDA

View Full Version : Corel touch screen?

Randy Walker
12-17-2012, 10:54 PM
It’s getting close to time for me to upgrade some of my equipment. I’m thinking about a new computer with a touch screen and the new Corel. I was wondering if the new version of Corel is compatible with touch screens, or are they still stuck in the mouse trap.

Randy Walker

Dan Hintz
12-18-2012, 7:25 AM
Corel works with tablets, which is essentially the same technology... you won't have any problems.

Mike Null
12-18-2012, 7:29 AM
Randy

Long time no see. Why don't you go over to the Corel forum and inquire there. You're more likely to find people who have actually tried it.

http://coreldraw.com/forums/t/37077.aspx

Dan Hintz
12-18-2012, 7:36 AM
Also, take a look at the Cintiq line of touch-screen computers... pretty much designed with Corel, Photoshop, etc. in mind...

Mike Null
12-18-2012, 8:29 AM
Dan

Remember this is Windows. To say, "you won't have any problems", is a giant leap of faith.;)

Randy Walker
12-19-2012, 12:41 AM
Thanks Dan for the quick response and sorry for my slow response. I have been quite busy this week. I’m glad to see that I have some options now. Have you (or anyone else) given it a try? How do you like it? I am using a 13 button programmable mouse and the touch pad on my laptop so I can move very fast through the most common task. I don’t want to loose my speed, but the idea of drawing with my hands is very appealing.

Hi Mike good to hear from you. I guess if I had time to think I could have just gone to the Corel site to find out for myself, but that requires thinking and I don’t have time for that stuff. Things ”may” slow down next week and I will get some time to do some research.

Randy Walker

Jiten Patel
12-19-2012, 4:18 AM
Hi Randy,

I work with Illustrator and also wanted to go down the route of a touch-screen. It all comes down to practice and personal preference.

I have used the the Cintiq touch screens and they are incredible....but I just didn't get on with it. I also tried the Wacom tablets and although these are great too, I simply preferred using a mouse and keyboard. I'm sure if I stuck with either, I would be just as quick with those, but that comes with time....using a mouse and keyboard is like second nature....and as the saying goes, if it ain't broke, why fix it...!

Maybe find a place that has them (universities may be a good start) and spend a few hours playing around...see if it is for you before spending a small fortune on an expensive show piece which you may never use.

I think the screens are better placed for working with photos and art rather than vectors - but I have no doubt that with practice they would work just as well as the old keyboard/mouse setup.

Dan Hintz
12-19-2012, 6:56 AM
I think the screens are better placed for working with photos and art rather than vectors - but I have no doubt that with practice they would work just as well as the old keyboard/mouse setup.

Agreed...

I use a Wacom Intuous 4 Large tablet, and for vector-based drawing (and some limited sketch work), I think it works beautifully. If I was into more of the sketching, the immediate feedback of seeing what I draw appear under my "brush" while using something like the Cintiq would be a huge draw (no pun intended), but I prefer to let someone with talent do the artwork.

Mike Null
12-19-2012, 7:01 AM
I've had a Wacom for years and was never able to get the feel of it. I'm afraid I'll be using the old dinosaur tools for as long as I can.

Randy Walker
12-24-2012, 1:39 PM
My wife has a touch screen desk top and said that she will download a trial version when she gets time (that means I’m cooking doing dishes for a while). It may be a week or so but Ill let you know how it works for me.

Randy Walker

Scott Naylor
12-24-2012, 2:09 PM
Randy, I have a thinkpad x220 tablet with a touch screen and Corel x4. This computer is not one of the simple tablets - its a normal, small laptop with a screen that can flip around and lay down like a tablet (obviously a lot heavier); but I keep it setup like a normal laptop. I use the keyboard, mouse, and touch screen as appropriate. When doing things like corel's cutout lab, drawing vectors around an object, or doing some modeling with Aspire software, I use the touch screen, but not generally with my finger, since the x220 comes with a stylus that makes that process a lot more friendly - in my opinion.

I also have an intuois 4 tablet, but never spent enough time on it. so I never really got the hang of it. I have not used it at all since I got the touch screen tablet. I may even sell it if I ever get around to it since I've probably only used it a couple of hours. I'll probably give it another shot before making that decision.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw out another opinion.

Chuck Stone
12-24-2012, 4:51 PM
I used a tablet for years with Photoshop, but not with Corel. And used a touch screen
for other photo related things (Aladdin systems) but I don't know how that would work
with Corel. I mean.. I know HOW it would work, I just don't see it being the right application,
or see it giving you any benefit over a mouse. In fact, I'd expect it to cause a lot more errors
in positioning.

Can't use my Wacom anymore.. don't have a computer with a serial port! (yeah, it's that old)
and can't seem to part with the dough for an Intuos now that I'm not retouching full time.
I miss it.

Darryl Hazen
12-24-2012, 5:08 PM
Chuck, you might want to check into a serial to USB adapter. Not sure if it would work but it would be worth a try.

Chuck Stone
12-26-2012, 4:53 PM
Hi Darryl .. yep.. bought one for $50 and it didn't work.
That was years ago though.. there might be more current drivers now

Kevin Aylward
12-27-2012, 2:58 AM
I just made the leap, and bought a Wacom touch tablet. I chose the medium, as it has enough space to be equal to a standard sheet of writing paper, so it is more intuitive to use. The touch sensitivity works just fine in Corel X5 so far, but like any tool, there is a bit of a learning curve. I had to set it aside to get my holiday rush work done, but plan to play with it more during the slow winter months. Looks like it is going to be a great asset once the weakest link in the system is honed a bit. That being my ability to remember all the commands, settings and techniques!

Chuck Stone
12-27-2012, 11:11 AM
Looks like it is going to be a great asset once the weakest link in the system is honed a bit. That being my ability to remember all the commands, settings and techniques!

You'll wonder how you ever did graphics without one.

My advice? Use it first with the default settings, use it as a mouse replacement. Get used to using
the buttons on the pen rather than left and right mouse clicks. Use your graphics programs the
way you have always done.

Then gradually start adding a button or two to your routine. That way, instead of being overwhelmed
with new things, you're just adding one or two to a tool you're already familiar with. Then add one
or two more. I don't think I used any of the macro buttons on my tablet for the first year or so. I
just didn't need to. Then I started thinking about shortcuts, so I programmed a couple of keys.
Still didn't 'need' to .. I could use it with default settings forever and still get by a lot easier than
with a mouse.

I never realized why people liked Photoshop till I got the tablet. Then it just clicked.