PDA

View Full Version : Ash Bowl

Baxter Smith
12-17-2012, 10:14 PM
This bowl was turned to finish last spring. I didn’t get around to sanding and finishing until early this month. It will be heading back to Maine as a thank you to my cousin for letting me pickthrough his firewood pile.

15 ½ x 4 ½ x 5/16 except at the rim.
Finished with Walnut Oil.

Comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Thomas Canfield
12-17-2012, 10:24 PM
That will hold a lot of salad. The little warpage adds character, and the endgrain almost looks like ridges and not growth rings.

Leo Van Der Loo
12-17-2012, 10:37 PM
I love the looks of that wood Baxter, sure didn't grow very fast either but very steady year after year, that is a nice bowl, I'd be proud to have turned it, thanks for showing :)

Roger Chandler
12-17-2012, 10:47 PM
Your cuz is gonna love it, Baxter.......thanks for showing it at our meeting last week also!

Doug Herzberg
12-17-2012, 10:59 PM
That has everything going for it, Baxter. Nice curve, rim and foot, grain nicely aligned, and it's going home.

Bernie Weishapl
12-17-2012, 11:06 PM
Really nice bowl and gesture. I really like the grain of this wood and the nice form of the bowl.

Richard Jones
12-18-2012, 4:33 AM
Great character, in both grain and shape. Also like the foot. Too many flat-bottomed bowls out there, glad you gave it some lift.

Baxter Smith
12-18-2012, 9:02 AM
Thanks for commenting, I appreciate it!

Your cuz is gonna love it, .......
Not sure about that Roger, though I think he will remember the tree it came from. :)

That has everything going for it, Baxter. Nice curve, rim and foot, grain nicely aligned, and it's going home.
Thanks Doug. The tree grew on a stonewall behind his house. He is a dairy farmer but cuts a fair amount of wood in the winter. The best hardwood logs get sold for lumber and the rest becomes firewood. The insulators kept the lower 2 feet of the log from going to the mill. If the checking from both ends hadn't been so bad by the time I hauled it off the pile, it could have been a good bit bigger.

Prashun Patel
12-18-2012, 9:48 AM
Hi Baxter.
Really pretty wood. Sure you don't want to keep this one???

mike ash
12-18-2012, 8:21 PM
Nice bowl Baxter. I like the form and especially the wood!!!

Mike Ash

Baxter Smith
12-18-2012, 9:36 PM
Hi Baxter.
Really pretty wood. Sure you don't want to keep this one???
Thanks Prashun. This was the next to the largest out of a set of four. The other side of the log I cored into a set of three. Still have a few left to choose from!:) And he will be cutting more wood this winter.;)

Nice bowl Baxter. I like the form and especially the wood!!!

Mike Ash

Thanks Mike. The extra color was nice, along with it being "Ash" of course.:)

Steve Schlumpf
12-18-2012, 10:34 PM
That is one pretty bowl Baxter! Love the grain and the rich color! You going to include the insulators with the bowl? Your cousin is going to love this!!

Baxter Smith
12-18-2012, 10:54 PM
........ You going to include the insulators with the bowl? .......
Steve, he did say he wanted them back!;):) The half that these insulators were on I cored to be returned. The largest outer bowl on that half does have some grey staining from the nails that I hope to be able to preserve. Would liked to have given him that one but don't want to wait another year. Maybe he will just get two.:)