PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox Popcorn Bowl

Baxter Smith
12-17-2012, 7:50 PM
Thought I would turn a popcorn/party bowl for my nephew outof some wood from his grandparent’s property. The spalted maple I had wasn’t very pretty butsince he is a long time Sox fan, I tried to dress it up a bit.
11 ¾ x 3 ½ x 3/8
Burned, dyed, and finished with AO.
Comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Roger Chandler
12-17-2012, 7:59 PM
I saw this one in person last week.......folks, this is a fine piece of work that Baxter did. Mrs. DeMasi really liked it as well....I wondered for a bit if it would leave Virginia!

Nice work Baxter!!!

Chris Studley
12-17-2012, 8:22 PM
.Baxter, very cool. Such a iconic symbol, it has to be perfect or it would have stuck out. You seemed to have pulled it off. I also like the form and wood as well.

Faust M. Ruggiero
12-17-2012, 8:35 PM
That's cool even for a Yankees fan. Speaking of baseball, if you folks haven't seen the movie Moneyball don't miss it. It's a story that indirectly tells how Boston finally shook off the "Curse of the Bambino". Great plate, Bax. It's on TV.
faust

Nate Davey
12-17-2012, 9:34 PM
I thought the "B" stood for Baxter.....my bad. Beautiful platter and the embellishments look very nice.

Bernie Weishapl
12-17-2012, 11:16 PM
That is a beauty Baxter. Great popcorn bowl.

Mike Cruz
12-17-2012, 11:27 PM
The burning and coloring is perfect. And I mean that. And not just from pics. Held it in my hands. Not one crooked line. Not one bleeding color. That was even more stunning than in these pics. What you really don't see is the drool that accumulated in the bottom of the bowl from a number of the "fans" of this bowl at our meeting!

David DeCristoforo
12-17-2012, 11:32 PM
I like this bowl but I'm not a boston Red Sox fan or even really much of a baseball fan in general. So for me, the decorations are a distraction. I'd still eat popcorn out of it though...

Leo Van Der Loo
12-17-2012, 11:35 PM
I think you called it right Baxter :eek:, though you did give it a good shape :D, I don't know about the SOX though, he'll never be able to change to a better team now :p

Steve Schlumpf
12-17-2012, 11:43 PM
he'll never be able to change to a better team now :p

Now that's funny!

Beautiful bowl Baxter! I really like the rim - very user friendly! I am sure he will love the gift! Nice work!

Doug W Swanson
12-17-2012, 11:54 PM
I love the shape of the bowl. It's always one of my favorite shape. Great job with the artwork. Even though I'm a Twins fan, I can still appreciate the work that went into this! It turned out great!

Kathy Marshall
12-18-2012, 12:13 AM
Very nice Baxter! You're turning into quite the artist! I'm sure your nephew will love it

Richard Jones
12-18-2012, 4:24 AM
Perfect. Sentimental wood, popcorn, baseball. I know he will treasure this.

I like the shape and obvious heft. Nothing worse than a popcorn bowl that won't take some rough handling.

Michelle Rich
12-18-2012, 6:35 AM
the wood looks very nice to me..

Tony De Masi
12-18-2012, 6:41 AM
I was wondering if you were ever going to post this one Baxter. Very cool piece indeed especially since I am a SOX fan as well.

Baxter Smith
12-18-2012, 9:29 AM
That's cool even for a Yankees fan. ......
faust
I suppose someone has to be.......but you're forgiven.:) My mother is one of them as well. From Lou Gherig to Derek Jeter. Though no one will ever compare in her eyes to Joltin Joe.;) Even "YOUK" :rolleyes: in 2013.

I....I don't know about the SOX though, he'll never be able to change to a better team now :p

He is a SOX fan through and through Leo....even after 2012.:p So its got to be a better team now!

..........Very cool piece indeed especially since I am a SOX fan as well.

Hope he feels the same Tony. At least the "2012" is on the bottom where you can't see it.:)

Jim Burr
12-18-2012, 2:42 PM
As a life long Giants fan, I take pity on the less fortunate. That bowl would cheer anyone up!!

Baxter Smith
12-18-2012, 9:58 PM
As a life long Giants fan, I take pity on the less fortunate. That bowl would cheer anyone up!!
You definitely had a good year!! But you couldn't have done it without the SOX!:rolleyes: Scutaro was one of my favorites when he was in Boston. I was dissapointed when the Sox didn't bring him back.