PDA

View Full Version : Dresser Complete

Jeff Sudmeier
04-26-2005, 8:28 AM
Everyone,

I have finished up the dresser for our second bedroom. It is made from red oak for all the outside parts and Red Maple for all of the non-seen parts. I used witches brew as a finish for all of the outside parts. Witches brew is my new favorite finish! I really like how it goes on and the finished product. I used shelac on the inside of the dresser, to keep the smell down.

The drawers were made using pocket screws. I had just gotten my Kreg jig and HAD to try it out :)

This project was my first time using sliding dovetails. I am very happy with how they turned out. I used them to attach the web frames to the sides.

Bill Arnold
04-26-2005, 8:32 AM
Jeff,

Great design and execution! The proportions and finish are very nice.

But, witches brew???

Regards,

Lee Schierer
04-26-2005, 8:43 AM
That's a nice looking dresser. I like the raised panels on the sides. It dresses them up nicely. Looks like you have a start for a nice bedroom set what do you plan for the other pieces?

Hmmmm, pocket screws for drawer construction. I don't think I would have thought to do that. Guess that's why I have a dovetail jig.

Wes Newman
04-26-2005, 8:49 AM
Jeff, That's one great looking dresser. Let's see some pics of the inside construction. Keep up the good work.

Jeff Sudmeier
04-26-2005, 8:55 AM
I do have plans for more peices, but they are a secret! :) Would have to kill ya and all that :)

Wes, I had to borrow a camera to take these pics, When I get it back, I will take more pics.

Basically nothing is hiding. The only thing you can't see are the web frames for the drawers to run on. They are made using mortise and tenon construction. The frames themselves are attached to the sides with sliding dovetails.

Mark Singer
04-26-2005, 9:07 AM
Jeff,

Very nice work! Very nice design and choice of details...

Ken Fitzgerald
04-26-2005, 10:22 AM
Jeff....great work! Did you use slides for the drawers?

Daniel Rabinovitz
04-26-2005, 10:26 AM
Jeff
Very nice!
Daniel

Jeff Sudmeier
04-26-2005, 10:27 AM
Jeff....great work! Did you use slides for the drawers?
Ken,

The drawers are just free floating. I decided not to use any slides, once I tried sliding the drawers in and out. They slid easy enough that I decided not to use any slides. Just a heavy coat of wax on the drawer webs and on the bottoms of the drawers.

Jim W. White
04-26-2005, 10:39 AM
Jeff,

Nice work!! ..very warm and inviting finish. I really like the raised panels on the sides as well! It will make the dresser look nice no matter where it goes in the room.

Jeff Sudmeier
11-08-2005, 10:26 AM
EDIT: Added new pic

Jeff Sudmeier
11-08-2005, 10:28 AM
Now that the super secret projects are being reveiled, I can say that this was one of them! Here is a pic of it in the nusery:)