PDA

View Full Version : Red Maple Plate: Burned and Dyed

Baxter Smith
12-17-2012, 7:31 PM
At last month’s Chesapeake Wood turners meeting, the daughter of one of the members demonstrated how to use a woodburner and dye to create a landscape scene on a platter. I am no artist but wanted to try something simple on a couple pieces of punky red maple.
9 ¼ x ¾ x 1/8

Thought the leaf could be a bit larger so tried again.

11 x 1 x 1/4

Burned with a writing tip followed by Transtint dyes and Deft rattle can lacquer (along with my signature orange peel).:)

Not sure yet who is going to get stuck with them this Christmas!

Comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Roger Chandler
12-17-2012, 8:04 PM
The addition of the pyro and color really adds to these pieces......I might have to give that a go sometimes Baxter......yours were pretty inspiring and the simple writing tip is a plus for someone who hasn't acquired all those burner tips yet.

Steve Mawson
12-17-2012, 9:33 PM
I do like the larger leaf for sure. Makes for a very nice picture

Bernie Weishapl
12-17-2012, 11:17 PM
Great piece Baxter. I do like the larger pyro better.

Doug W Swanson
12-17-2012, 11:51 PM
They are both very nice. I think the wood is good enough to have been left alone but the artwork adds a nice touch. Certainly not over powering but a great addition to the pieces!

Kathy Marshall
12-18-2012, 12:15 AM
2 very nice pieces Baxter! Great job on the burning and coloring and I like the forms.

Leo Van Der Loo
12-18-2012, 12:38 AM
I tried some "painting" at one time, well you got me beat by a quarter mile Baxter, nice plates though, oh maybe, well..... I bet they where nice before as well :o

Baxter Smith
12-18-2012, 8:47 AM
Thanks for commenting, I appreciate it. The leaf was traced using transfer paper, then burned and shaded. Coloring within the lines completed the illusion of me being an artist.;):)

Peter Blair
12-18-2012, 9:33 AM
Hey Baxter. I really like the idea of adding some color. How do you stop the trans tint from 'wicking' into the adjacent wood? I wanted to try this but thought I would wind up without sharply defined color edges.

jared herbert
12-18-2012, 9:43 AM
My question too, how do you keep the color from bleeding through the grain? Use a sealer first? Thanks Jared

Baxter Smith
12-18-2012, 10:29 AM
Doug and Jared, the burn lines stop the flow of dye...if you don't put too much on.....and can stay within the lines!

jared herbert
12-18-2012, 1:21 PM
Thats good to hear. My wife, i think, is getting me a woodburner for christmas, at least that is what I asked her for. I have visions of doing somethings like you have. And I guess if she doesnt come through I will just buy one anyway. Jared

Jim Burr
12-18-2012, 2:37 PM
You sure picked that skill up fast!! Very well done sir!!

Steve Schlumpf
12-18-2012, 4:56 PM
Pretty cool artwork there Baxter! I like the larger leaf but find the smaller leaf more appealing because of the darker outlines. The edges of the large leaf seem to get lost in the color. I do like that you can control the dye somewhat. Will have to give this process some thought!

Baxter Smith
12-18-2012, 9:49 PM
Thats good to hear. My wife, i think, is getting me a woodburner for christmas, at least that is what I asked her for. I have visions of doing somethings like you have. And I guess if she doesnt come through I will just buy one anyway. Jared
Since you are making out your list, don't forget the transfer paper as well. I picked mine up at ACMoore though HobbyLobby or Michels has it too. A "Dagger" brush made the dye application a lot more controllable as well.(At least as compared to the generic brushes I had used before.)

Pretty cool artwork there Baxter! I like the larger leaf but find the smaller leaf more appealing because of the darker outlines. The edges of the large leaf seem to get lost in the color. I do like that you can control the dye somewhat. Will have to give this process some thought!
Thanks Steve. I will be interested to see what you come up with. OIt does open up some possibilities for the artistically chanllenged.;):)