PDA

View Full Version : Do some self-closing euro hinges close better than others?

Ron Sayers
12-17-2012, 3:52 PM
Our face frame kitchen cabinets have full overlay, self-closing, Grass euro hinges, without motion control. The doors shut themselves if you get them almost closed (last 3-4 inches). Are there other hinges that I could retrofit, (or some other device), that will close the cabinet when the door is further open? A family member often leaves the cabinets partly open, which makes momma unhappy. If possible, I would like the doors on several cabinets to shut automatically, unless they were fully opened.

Jeff Duncan
12-17-2012, 7:07 PM
I haven't seen any for cabinet doors?

Probably be easier and cheaper to tell that family member how to close a cabinet door than to replace all the hinges anyway:D

Todd Burch
12-17-2012, 7:37 PM
You might be better off determining the number of degrees open your Grass hinges kick-in rather than inches towards closure. Inches towards closure is a factor of the width of the door. You can then compare the kick-in degree amongst other manufacturers.

scott vroom
12-17-2012, 10:29 PM
Blum Compact hinges with Blumotion begin to self-close at around 40-45 degrees (roughly half way closed). You need to compare Grass and Blum installation specs to see if they would be interchangable (a 3/4" o'lay Grass hinge may require a different cup location that the Blum 3/4" o'lay hinge). My suggestion is to call Blum tech support.

As others have mentioned, a better solution would be to train the family member to follow mamma's wishes and close the door when done.

Jeff Duncan
12-18-2012, 9:48 AM
Grass and Blum will NOT interchange, you would need new holes in the doors and possibly new holes in the cabinet. I know this for a fact b/c I had to sell my Grass hinge machine and buy a Blum when I switched brands several years ago and there was no way to change the drilling pattern on the machine:(

JeffD

Mike Goetzke
12-18-2012, 9:58 AM
Our face frame kitchen cabinets have full overlay, self-closing, Grass euro hinges, without motion control. The doors shut themselves if you get them almost closed (last 3-4 inches). Are there other hinges that I could retrofit, (or some other device), that will close the cabinet when the door is further open? A family member often leaves the cabinets partly open, which makes momma unhappy. If possible, I would like the doors on several cabinets to shut automatically, unless they were fully opened.

I have the Blumotion and it doesn't correct the family member problem - DAMHIKT.

Mike

Ron Sayers
12-18-2012, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I will give Blum tech support a call to see what would be involved in a retrofit. If they closed from 40-45 degrees, that would solve 90% of the problem. The lack of door slamming might further promote household bliss.

Jeff Duncan
12-18-2012, 1:39 PM
FWIW door slamming is a different problem which can be remedied without changing the hinges. There are several choices in soft close devices which can be added to the cabinet itself;)

Jeffd