PDA

View Full Version : The dreaded RUST on tools!!!! and NEW TOOLS!!!!

Clarence Martin
12-17-2012, 2:10 PM
:eek:

Went to go rearrange the basement workshop today to make better use of usable space. 34x34 basement. I get down there and check on the jet Planer Molder that I have not used since last year and what do I see ??? RUST ON THE LOWER INSIDE OF THE PLANER WHERE THE BOARDS RUN THROUGH !!!!!!!!!:eek:

Next, I look at the Sears Craftsman 12 inch Miter Saw. Looks fine. But, wait, what is that on the saw blade ??? RUST!!!!!:eek: I take a rag and wipe the blade. No go. Nothing coming off!!! The Freud sawblade looks like some old cast iron kettle that had been sitting outside for 100 years!!

Then , I look around and I realize that my shop cleanout last year of old , useless and worn out tools had not been replaced with NEW TOOLS !!

What a day!!

Now I have to go and buy a bunch of NEW TOOLS!!!! :D:):cool:

Jeff Duncan
12-17-2012, 2:23 PM
I might suggest a dehumidifier and some sort of rust prohibitor as opposed to new tools.....just saying;)

good luck,
JeffD

Mike Hollis
12-17-2012, 2:50 PM
A light coat of T-9 Boeshield or even Johnson's Paste wax will prevent this in the future.

Myk Rian
12-17-2012, 2:54 PM
You wouldn't happen to have a bottle of muriatic acid open, would you?

Clarence Martin
12-17-2012, 3:19 PM
It's a very humid basement. Got dehumidifier in the house , but the old dehumidifier in the basement bit the dust last Fall and did not replace it . Live and learn!

Now, for tools that I need to replace....

1. Could use a new 4x36 benchtop belt sander. The old 4x36 sander got tossed last Fall when the motor burned out.

2. The oscillating Spindle Sander. Old Sears. Worked good, but not enough power and for some reason, had a hard time finding sanding sleeves for it. Want to replace it.

Right now, looking at either Sears or Grizzly for replacement tools.

Jim Andrew
12-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Was doing some reading on another forum, and found that oxalic acid removes rust. Now that is a dual use chemical. Woodworkers use it to bleach the clamp marks you get from black pipe on glued up panels! They said 5 to 8 tablespoons to 5 gallons water to soak the rust out of a gas tank.

brian c miller
12-19-2012, 12:05 PM
Evaporust is the way to go... it doesn't eat the metal like acid.

I've use it a lot with hand planes and it works like magic. You probally won't get shinny bright cast iron, it leave kinda a dull gray colour... but that cleans up easy with some scotchbrite.

BCM

William Adams
12-19-2012, 12:19 PM
Has anyone tried one of the new, hybrid water heaters which uses a heat pump to warm the water up?

They also function as a dehumidifier, so should be a net energy / cost-savings if one is running a dehumidifier anyway...