PDA

View Full Version : Wavy Siberian Elm bowl

Leo Van Der Loo
12-17-2012, 12:51 PM
I turned this piece about 3 or 4 years ago, and have been wanting to sand it and finish it, kept picking it up and setting it aside again.

The severe warp in the foot recess and the rim made it hard to hold securely and I had to turn it outboard, as it is to large for inboard turning where I could have used the tailstock to help hold it.

Couple of days ago I finally decided to at least give it a try and see how it would hold, as the recess was only 3/16" the stronghold had not much to hold onto, and the recess wasn't round anymore either.

Slowly tightened the chuck as I wiggled and rotated the piece on the chuck till I found the best position, set the lathe to it's slowest speed (73 RPM) and gave it a whirl, it worked !!

Still cautious and carefully I got it sanded and turned the base straight so it can stand without wobbling, now it still has to get a finish on it, I will give it a few coats of polymerized Tung oil when I get to it ;)

My photo boot is still in the making and not the way I want it yet,so the pictures are just so so, I'm still having to improve on things here, not just the booth either ;)

248191 248192 248193

cal thelen
12-17-2012, 1:21 PM
I like that alot.

Allan Ferguson
12-17-2012, 1:28 PM
A great save and a desirable turning.

steven carter
12-17-2012, 1:34 PM
Really nice Leo. I would call it the Salvador Domingo Felipe Jacinto Dalí i Domčnech bowl.

Eric Gourieux
12-17-2012, 1:44 PM
That's really amazing. Great looking bowl

Doug W Swanson
12-17-2012, 3:14 PM
Wow! That thing warped like crazy. I like it a lot!

Leo Van Der Loo
12-17-2012, 10:02 PM
Thank you all for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it :D

Bernie Weishapl
12-17-2012, 11:14 PM
Really nice piece Leo. Glad you got in back on to finish.

Baxter Smith
12-18-2012, 8:42 AM
That would make a real attention grabber as the centerpiece on the table Leo!

Mike Cruz
12-18-2012, 9:22 AM
I bet that warped in the exact configuration you wanted it to! Very cool, Leo.

Leo Van Der Loo
12-18-2012, 7:29 PM
Really nice piece Leo. Glad you got in back on to finish.

Thank you for commenting Bernie, it's appreciated :)

That would make a real attention grabber as the centerpiece on the table Leo!

Thanks Baxter :D, I would hope someone appreciates it for what it is, a nice one of a kind piece of wood with a unique shape to it ;)

I bet that warped in the exact configuration you wanted it to! Very cool, Leo.

Thanks for commenting Mike :), I was expecting it to move in this fashion, but it is still a wait and see of how much and with the hope it hangs together, as that was the real question I could not predict/answer, but was hopeful and it did work out :D

james bell
12-21-2012, 8:57 AM
There is a lot of Siberian elm where I live, and have done a lot of bowls with it. I have turned both green and let it warp and also rough and finishing after it dried. Beautiful colors in the wood, although I did find the wood to be very hard.

Very nice piece you turned, love the design. Mine have mainly hollow form.

Leo Van Der Loo
12-21-2012, 5:14 PM
Thanks for commenting James :), The Siberian Elm is quite common in Southern Ontario and grows also here in Northern Ontario as well, but stays much smaller for what I have seen anyway.

The wood is varied in color and the heartwood can be nearly as dark as Walnut, the biggest problem I find with turning it, is the stringy Cambium, like when you want to turn a natural edge piece, it is thick, slimy and stringy but the end result is worth the trouble IMO :D