PDA

View Full Version : Carpathian Walnut plate

Leo Van Der Loo
12-16-2012, 11:10 PM
The fall of 2008 brought some very early early heavy wet snow to London Ontario, did a lot of damage to trees around town that were still all in full leaf.

In both front, side and back yard I lost branch and limbs from several trees, though the worst off was my Carpathian Walnut which I had planted several years earlier and was just starting to bear nuts, it split right in half right to the ground.

I did use as much of the limbs and branches as I could for turning small items, as it was just a small tree still, the biggest piece is this plate/platter and I almost lost that by drilling the wood too deep, I screw mounted it to loose the least depth as there wasn't much to start with and I needed to use all there was :).

Any and all comments welcome as always :)

248151 248152 248153 248154

robert baccus
12-16-2012, 11:16 PM
Nice piece and wood too yeah. Try a glueblock on thin woods,

Leo Van Der Loo
12-17-2012, 12:22 PM
Thanks for taking the time to look and reply Bob :D

I'm not big on glue-blocks with wet wood Bob, I just don't trust it :o, and also there was enough wood to hold it, I just made a booboo by drilling deeper than I should have or did need to, that's the reason for the "well" in the middle :)

Doug W Swanson
12-17-2012, 3:10 PM
Great looking plate, Leo. Love the color of that walnut!

robert baccus
12-17-2012, 4:50 PM
Fear not the wet wood/CA glue. I spin 100# green vases on a 3.5" glueblock. Green end grain is really tough to glue. Do a simple sample glue job on green end grain and test the strength. Make sure the faces are flat and the CA is fresh---no pressure needed as with wood glues. PS this is the only glue this works on.

Jim Burr
12-17-2012, 5:21 PM
Although I'm still drooling over the find and the fact I love platters...I'd be more enthrailed if you'd disclose the size and finish!! Very fine work Leo and again...glad you're back!

robert baccus
12-17-2012, 7:44 PM
Really nice platter by the way, wood too. Call it a dimple--welcome back too.

Leo Van Der Loo
12-17-2012, 10:30 PM
Great looking plate, Leo. Love the color of that walnut!

Thanks Doug :)

Fear not the wet wood/CA glue. I spin 100# green vases on a 3.5" glueblock. Green end grain is really tough to glue. Do a simple sample glue job on green end grain and test the strength. Make sure the faces are flat and the CA is fresh---no pressure needed as with wood glues. PS this is the only glue this works on.

You are probably right Bob, it is just that I trust a mechanical fastening more :)

Although I'm still drooling over the find and the fact I love platters...I'd be more enthrailed if you'd disclose the size and finish!! Very fine work Leo and again...glad you're back!

Thank you Jim :), sorry for not including the size and finish, the platter is just 9 inches and it has 3 (I think) coats of polymerized tung oil on it, light weight at 2.6 oz or 64 grams :D

Really nice platter by the way, wood too. Call it a dimple--welcome back too.

Thanks Bob :), yes a dimple sounds better, but it it what it is, for me it's still a screw-up, next time better ;)

Bernie Weishapl
12-17-2012, 11:12 PM
Great looking piece and wood Leo. Really nice work Leo.

Baxter Smith
12-18-2012, 8:39 AM
Pretty way of showing off that grain and sapwood Leo!

Prashun Patel
12-18-2012, 9:45 AM
I love this form. Thank you for sharing. I'm going to try this.

I also love that picture of the fractured tree amidst the snowy branches.

Grant Wilkinson
12-18-2012, 10:29 AM
Beautiful piece, Leo. Too bad about the trees, though.

Leo Van Der Loo
12-18-2012, 11:47 PM
Great looking piece and wood Leo. Really nice work Leo.

Thank you for the compliment Bernie :)

Pretty way of showing off that grain and sapwood Leo!

Thanks Baxter, the wood looks quite nice, as for the rest, I didn't have much of a choice and I am happy I got something for all my troubles with that tree :D

I love this form. Thank you for sharing. I'm going to try this.

I also love that picture of the fractured tree amidst the snowy branches.

I'm flattered Prashun, do show when you turn something like it, thanks for commenting :)

Beautiful piece, Leo. Too bad about the trees, though.

You know Grand that stump did shoot out after, and maybe it will someday still bear nuts, I hope so anyway, the people that did buy our home and property were very interested in all the different trees that are on that property and the flood plain right behind it, I have been planting many trees there in the 40 years we lived there, some didn't make it a few got stolen when still small but a lot grew and are there for everyone to enjoy and maybe multiply around the area, thanks for your reply as well ;)