PDA

View Full Version : Single phase versus three phase Delta stock feeder

Ed Weiser
12-16-2012, 8:50 PM
Hi Everyone!
Can anyone verify this: I was told that the only difference between the Delta 1 hp stock feeders that are single phase versus three phase is the presence of a 35 microfarad capacitor and a terminal jumper in the switch assembly of the single phase unit. The motors themselves are otherwise the same. The schematic diagram would seem to support this notion. If so, the replacement of the switch assembly alone (much cheaper) would convert a three phase unit to single phase operation. True?
Any ideas or experience would be appreciated. Thanks.

Rick Fisher
12-17-2012, 2:13 AM
I would not believe that unless it was proven to me. Single phase and 3 phase motors are not the same and a capacitor won't make them the same.

A single phase motor will need a capacitor for sure. Take it away and you have a single phase motor that won't run .. not a 3 phase.

If that is true, Ier. would find it really interesting. It would mean they had a converter built in .. not sure Co-Matic offers that ..

Ben Burns
12-17-2012, 6:03 AM
If they were to run a 3phase motor as a single phase after starting it, it would have only 2/3 of the hp of the original motor. I doubt they are doing this as the motor would also have a shortened life. Schematics for a single phase induction motor and a 3 phase motor can look very similar since a single phase motor has a 3rd start winding.

Chris Rosenberger
12-17-2012, 7:36 AM
As others have said, a 3 phase motor is different than a single phase motor.
But to check out what you were told, look at the parts lists of the single phase & 3 phase feeders to see if the part numbers for the motors are the same.

Erik Loza
12-17-2012, 9:19 AM
Correct: Cannot be the same motor. Aside from what everyone else has mentioned, the three-phase motor will also be physically smaller than the single-phase version.

Not personally familiar with your feeder but in my experience, parts schematics often "all look the same" without the context of size, etc.

Best,

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Mike Heidrick
12-17-2012, 9:55 AM
A 1hp VFD/AC Drive may be cheaper yet than replacing the switch. A Hitachi X200-007NFU2 is $153 on ebay and mine was new from Hitachi USA (mine was a 022 3hp model not the 007 1hp).

That being said, I own a 1hp 3 wheel Delta/Comtic VFD and can help identify anything you need visually on it.

Rick Lizek
12-17-2012, 6:51 PM
Hi Everyone!
Can anyone verify this: I was told that the only difference between the Delta 1 hp stock feeders that are single phase versus three phase is the presence of a 35 microfarad capacitor and a terminal jumper in the switch assembly of the single phase unit. The motors themselves are otherwise the same. The schematic diagram would seem to support this notion. If so, the replacement of the switch assembly alone (much cheaper) would convert a three phase unit to single phase operation. True?
Any ideas or experience would be appreciated. Thanks.

I would suspect you are not reading the wiring diagram correctly. Your info is totally incorrect. You can put a VFD and actually run a 1 HP three phase motor on 120 volt single phase and you get the benefit of infinitely variable speed so you can go slower than the regular slowest speed on the feeder or you can speed it up faster as well. www.factorymation.com