PDA

View Full Version : Ambrosia Maple Platter

Nate Davey
12-16-2012, 8:31 PM
I picked up a 17"x17" AM blank up from my wood pusher in NC before I moved out here. I finally have a lathe big enough to swing it, so turned this platter today. The final diameter was just under 17". This blank had a little of everything; spalt, curly, worm holes, a little burl, lots of AM staining and an odd red'ish stain. I tried a different finishing technique on this, dry sanded to 180 then wet sanded with Dr Woodshop Walnut Oil at 220, 320 then burnished in a coat of Dr Walnut oil with Wax. I'll let you be the judge of the finish, I like it. Thanks for looking, comments and criticism appreciated.

Kathy Marshall
12-16-2012, 8:41 PM
Wow! The wood is absolutely stunning! Tons of character and the simple form really lets it shine! Excellent job Nate!

Scott Hackler
12-16-2012, 8:43 PM
Excellent turning of some outstanding wood! I would be getting any more of that wood if possible!

Roger Chandler
12-16-2012, 8:58 PM
That is a beauty, Nate......lots going on with that maple. Nice form and unusual finish....really pops the grain features!

Ken Glass
12-16-2012, 9:08 PM
Nate,
That is wonderful platter,, and made even better with a great pick of such a fabulous piece of Maple. Well Done.

Mike Cruz
12-16-2012, 9:39 PM
You calling those of us who are kind enough to give people wood "wood pushers"? :D Hey, you better not lose that guy's number. That's some prudy stuff right there! Great platter, too!

Doug Herzberg
12-16-2012, 9:40 PM
Looks like you're putting that monster lathe contraption to good use. That's a great platter and, as others have said, the wood is out of this world. How much did your finish technique change the color?

David DeCristoforo
12-16-2012, 9:40 PM
This is the kind of wood we all dream of getting out hands on. The platter is beautiful because the wood is beautiful. But... it is also beautiful because it is perfectly understated. It's not easy to show that much restraint. Many of us would have "done too much" with the end result that the piece and the wood ended up competing with each other. You did this one perfectly.

Nate Davey
12-16-2012, 9:43 PM
Thanks all for the kind comments,
@Doug, it darkened it up quite a bit, but really made it richer. Here's a WIP pic

Doug Herzberg
12-16-2012, 10:05 PM
Thanks all for the kind comments,
@Doug, it darkened it up quite a bit, but really made it richer. Here's a WIP pic

Look at that. 17" inboard and plenty of room for more! I think you did well with the finish, along with everything else.

charlie knighton
12-16-2012, 10:12 PM
very nice,

what kind of monster do you have there

the blue sort of looks like the color of Sturart Batty's brand that he promotes

Nate Davey
12-16-2012, 10:13 PM
Charlie, this is an old school Nichols Lathe, probably built in '02.

charlie knighton
12-16-2012, 10:18 PM
cool....nice hunk of iron

Baxter Smith
12-16-2012, 10:44 PM
Outstanding piece of wood with no adornments to distract from that. Great purchase and great job turning it Nate!

Bernie Weishapl
12-16-2012, 10:46 PM
Wow that is beautiful. Great piece of wood and nice turning Nate.

Steve Schlumpf
12-16-2012, 11:26 PM
Sure is some dark wood! Beautiful markings and color variations! You should be proud of this one... I know I sure would be!

Doug W Swanson
12-16-2012, 11:37 PM
That's some great looking wood there. I just love the color variations! Excellent!

Richard Jones
12-17-2012, 4:38 AM
Oh, my...............

Michelle Rich
12-17-2012, 5:41 AM
amazing wood & I like the finish..it lets the wood talk/scream!

Philip Duffy
01-28-2013, 8:26 AM
Any chance you would be willing to tell us how to contact the friend in NC who has that kind of wood for sale??? Please. P.

Jerry Marcantel
01-28-2013, 8:50 AM
Nate, that's some beautiful wood and you did good on the color........ Did the wood have muck punk in it, and you said worm holes. I only saw one spot on the bottom that looked like it was filled. What is your secret to pluging the holes?
I like your swing on the lathe. just dreaming again................. Jerry (in Tucson)

Michael James
01-28-2013, 2:53 PM
That's a great finish on a beautiful chunk of wood! Congrats.
mj

Donny Lawson
01-30-2013, 5:49 PM
That is some beautiful wood. Great work.

Faust M. Ruggiero
01-30-2013, 6:09 PM
Ooh La La, that's a piece of Nature's art enhanced by a wonderful job of displaying it. What a lathe you have, Nate. I believe you can turn barrels on it. Good fortune finding it and I we are assured more magnificent pieces to see.
faust

Thomas Canfield
01-30-2013, 9:11 PM
The WIP shot of the wood does not give any indication of the rare piece that it holds. Good job. The simple platter lets the wood speak for itself. Finding something like that in a piece of plain looking wood makes you want to keep turning the extra away.

Harry Robinette
01-30-2013, 9:54 PM
Nate
I'll just say everything above is very true,very nice work and wood.

Jamie Schmitz
01-30-2013, 10:38 PM
I know art when I see it.Ausgezeichnet

Nate Davey
01-30-2013, 11:27 PM
Thank you all for the very kind comments.

Jerry, there was a little punk at the bottom, I didn't do a thing to the worms holes, and the fill job on the back was medium CA and brass key shavings from Lowes. I laid in some glue sprinkled in shavings and repeated until it was full, then did my final shear scrape to level and clean it all up. BTW, I bought the lathe from a gent down your way, in Sierra Vista.

For those of you who either PM's me, Gene, or said they were interested in where I got the wood, I just need to call Darius and make sure he is good with me giving out his phone number. I will PM those who are interested.

Jerry Marcantel
02-02-2013, 10:21 AM
Nate, Sierra Vista! Sounds like it's the Army you're in. I thought it was a different branch. How long ago did you get the lathe?? Also, I have a platter that looks very close in pattern just like the one you posted, but smaller. Thanks for the reply on the punk and tracks.
If any members on SMC live anywhere near Branson, I can give you exact coordinates that has a still standing very large stump(about 3" tall) of wood that looks exactly like Nate's beautiful platter pictured in this thread and a phone number of the property owner to get the permission to get it....... I'll post some pictures of things I made later tommorrow of this wood, and make this same offer again. ......... Jerry (in Tucson)

Nate Davey
02-02-2013, 4:14 PM
Jerry,

I retired out of the Army in Dec. I was never stationed there, I picked up the lathe in Oct.