PDA

View Full Version : Stanley 4 1/2 Restoration

Brett Bobo
12-16-2012, 7:37 PM
This is probably something many of you have done but for me, this was my first attempt at a plane restoration. Granted, it wasn't a full restoration since the japanning was in great shape so it primarily consisted of rust removal followed by a cleaning of all of the parts, grinding and lapping of the blade, and truing the edge of the chipbreaker.

This plane was from a Craiglist purchase, site unseen, so not only did I have reservations that the seller would follow through and ship the plane but to what sort of condition the plane was actually in. Overall, I think it was a great find and I've included some before and after photos...

Pre-restoration:

Post-restoration:

David Myers
12-16-2012, 7:44 PM
Very nice, Brett. What rust removal technique did you use?

Chris Griggs
12-16-2012, 7:50 PM
That's very nice. It's aesthetically a better job than I've ever done on a plane restoration. Very nice find indeed. How's it performing?

Brett Bobo
12-16-2012, 8:48 PM
Thanks, guys.

David, I used distilled vinegar for the rust removal and I've had really good success with this method thus far. I've had just as good results with a couple other planes too. I placed all of the parts, except the tote and knob of course, in a vinegar bath for about 24 hours.

Chris, I haven't put it through its paces yet since I need to lap the blade on the finer grit stones. Unfortunately, I just ran out of time to do that this weekend

Jim Belair
12-16-2012, 9:15 PM
Nice job Brett. A restoration like this one looks better to my eye than one where the japanning and wood finish have been redone and so are high gloss, and where the sole and sides have been surface ground bright. I like a vintage tool that looks like one.

Charlie Glover
12-16-2012, 10:38 PM
Nice work, it's great to bring an old neglected tool back to life. All but one of my hand planes were a mess when I got them, I may have to try the vinegar on the next one, I've been sandblasting and hate the mess.

Jim Koepke
12-17-2012, 2:03 AM
Brett,

Nice job on the 4-1/2. Of all the planes that is the only one that I think might be nice with the tall knob. With the short knob, the toe is so short the hairs on the edge of my hand get under the sole and are pulled when planing at times.

Charlie, welcome to the Creek. Your profile doesn't show your location. Where do you call home?

jtk

Bobby O'Neal
12-17-2012, 6:24 AM
Looks great.

Charlie Glover
01-12-2013, 9:38 PM
Thanks Jim, been looking around for a while and figured I'd join up. I'm from New Bedford Ma.

Brett,
Charlie, welcome to the Creek. Your profile doesn't show your location. Where do you call home?

jtk