PDA

View Full Version : Two trick pony - Iowa blue pine

Doug Herzberg
12-16-2012, 5:57 PM
This one I grow less fond of as I spend more time with it. I was really pleased while it was still on the lathe, but now that it's off, the mouth looks too large from some angles. Also, it's quite heavy. I didn't go thin because it started to move and there is a knot in the rim (see photo 2045). Then, when I turned off the tenon, the hole for the screw chuck turned out to be deeper than I thought. Still, I think the wood is pretty and I liked it sideways - maybe you can all lay your monitors on their sides. If you're on your phone or iPad, you'll have to turn the auto-rotate off.

Beetle stained pine, 10 x 10-1/2 x 1/2 inches, two coats of Watco DO so far. Comments and suggestions appreciated.

Scott Hackler
12-16-2012, 6:07 PM
No complaints from me. That is a pleasing shape and WOW that is some awesome looking pine. This is one of those pieces that I would instantly want to pick up and hold. And actually would have thought it weird if it didn't have a little weight to it. Nice work!

Greg Just
12-16-2012, 6:09 PM
Great looking wood Doug - I think it turned out pretty nice.

Doug W Swanson
12-16-2012, 6:20 PM
Doug, I think you are being too hard on yourself. Like Scott, I like that it was left a little thick. The thickness goes well with the shape and wide mouth. The wood is spectacular, too!

Rick Markham
12-16-2012, 6:21 PM
It's gorgeous Doug! The form shows off the grain spectacularly. I agree with Scott, that is one that begs to be inspected up close, the pine is insane looking.

Allan Ferguson
12-16-2012, 6:33 PM
A turning to be proud of. Pine is not easy to work with either. Lovely colors.

Timothy Mann
12-16-2012, 7:02 PM
I have never seen pine that color before. That is a beautiful piece you have there well done.

Thomas Canfield
12-16-2012, 8:12 PM
I like the shape and thickness. The oil does make the colors pop even though the wood is too thick for any translucence. That pine can produce some very interesting results.

Kathy Marshall
12-16-2012, 8:29 PM
I like it Doug! The wood is just awesome and if you turned a little lid for it you'd have a great looking cookie jar!

Roger Chandler
12-16-2012, 9:04 PM
Doug.......that is a pretty impressive turning! That pine is a unusually fine piece.....you did a good job on the form......not to say that your own assessment for a smaller diameter opening might not be a good change for the next one, but this is one of those that beg to be held and inspected with the hands.

Nice job on bringing out the features of the grain.......you have a winner for sure with this one!

Nate Davey
12-16-2012, 9:10 PM
Wow that has some crazy color, who would have thunk it for pine??? I'm going have a close look at the pine here. I don't mind the form and finish is great!

Ken Glass
12-16-2012, 9:14 PM
Doug,
I can't find any problems with this turning at all. The colour of the streaking and knots and annual rings make this a piece I would hold and turn often. That's also why I think, you turned it to the right thickness as well. Nice piece., Well Done..

Jay Rasmussen
12-16-2012, 9:20 PM
I like it also Doug! That has to be the most interesting pine I have ever seen.

charlie knighton
12-16-2012, 10:16 PM
very nice.....

Baxter Smith
12-16-2012, 10:45 PM
The shape looks fine and the wood is great! Very pretty Doug.

Bernie Weishapl
12-16-2012, 10:50 PM
I don't see anything wrong Doug. Really some good looking wood and nice form.

Steve Schlumpf
12-16-2012, 11:23 PM
Wow - that sure is some impressive looking wood! Nice form and I like Kathy's idea of turning a lid for it and using the piece as a cookie jar! Whatever you use it for... it should be front and center! Nice work!

robert baccus
12-16-2012, 11:27 PM
I like it---original sorta like a jug--like a working jug a good woman would grab and go with. hollow forms are like cajun women--no right or wrong--closer to closing time they all get georgeous.

Eric Gourieux
12-17-2012, 12:02 AM
Doug, fine piece you have there and well done. If you are willing, I will PURCHASE a blank from you. Nice stuff. PM me if interested. If not, I understand.

Michelle Rich
12-17-2012, 5:46 AM
I think you are being too hard on yourself..with it a bit heavier, you can use it as a flower vase with an insert..or your cat can sleep in it & it won't tip over! :-)

Scott Lux
12-17-2012, 7:20 AM
Not to jump on the bandwagon, but I see nothing wrong here. I think we too often try for thin and light. This is a piece that is special enough to be loved for generations, and solid enough to survive that long.

Doug Herzberg
12-17-2012, 7:25 AM
Thanks for all your kind words. I'm starting to feel good about it again. When I pick it up and touch it, it is smooth and soft all around, but there were some tool marks on the inside from after it started moving. I thought I could get them out with some hand sanding with the grain, but I ended up putting it back on the lathe and resanding through the grits. As a result, the long smooth curve of the inside wall got wavy. That's probably what started me not liking it so much.

For a time, I thought is might make a nice chamber pot with its wide opening. Perhaps a cookie jar would be more useful, since we already have indoor plumbing.

Steve, I'm sure the form was inspired, at least in part, by some of the rough outs you posted right after you got your American Beauty. Thomas, I was originally going for translucence, but this form emerged as I was roughing and probably wouldn't have worked that thin. When it started moving, I gave up all hope for that. There is another piece with the circle of branches at the bottom third which may work for a translucent piece if I get lucky.

Roger, the toughest thing about this turning was having this much weight so far away from the headstock with no steady. It resolved some doubts I was having about the Grizzly's abilities and limits, but it's time for me to look into putting the wheels from all the broken scooters with which my tenants' kids have littered my landscapes to good use.

This is that pine I picked up by mistake when I was gathering oak. I don't know what variety it is or whether the Rocky Mountain Pine Beetle has migrated east or this is the result of some other bug. Not every section has a ring of branches like a NIP would, but it has a lot more than a Ponderosa, and there's plenty to share, Eric. PM sent.

Thanks again, everyone, for cheering me up. It really is pretty wood.

Mike Null
12-17-2012, 7:53 AM
I'm not a turner but that is a gorgeous piece and I'd be proud to own it.

Pat Scott
12-17-2012, 11:23 AM
Crazy good piece of pine Doug. I love the last picture that shows the streaks wrapping around the bottom. I agree with everyone else, nothing wrong with a bigger opening and for this piece it looks perfect. Cookie jar? I like the idea!

Jim Underwood
12-17-2012, 12:28 PM
Nice!

If you only like it sideways, then feel free to send it right side up - to me! :D